How do I keep 150 bottles of beer cool?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's what I thought! My beer stays in my kitchen, largely because I haven't got anywhere else convenient to put it. As Sadfield says, it might be slightly warmer than optimum, but at least it's roughly the same temp all the year round. I pretty much don't suffer from gushers these days.
The slight issue I have with bringing them into the house is that the wife can then monitor how much I drink. I’d need to keep some in the garage for “ secret “ drinking to lose the 2nd between the 1st and the 3rd etc etc 😄

Mine are split between a beer fridge in my kitchen and the space under my floorboards. Built a trap door for beer access. I have a thermometer with a cable that monitors the temperature down there and it rarely gets above 20 even in the height of summer.

I’m still amazed at anyone wanting to drink really cold beer!

The only reason to make beer really cold is to disguise the tast. This may be a requirement for a commercial beer, but never for a HomeBrew. (Lager styles being the obvious exceptions.)

Back in the day, before refrigeration became commonplace in pubs and homes, we had to rely on Pubs maintaining “a good cellar”, which usually meant that the beer was served a few degrees below ambient.

I and many others still prefer this temperature. It is relatively easy to achieve in an unheated garage or garden shed!

Enjoy!

I’m still amazed at anyone wanting to drink really cold beer!

The only reason to make beer really cold is to disguise the tast. This may be a requirement for a commercial beer, but never for a HomeBrew. (Lager styles being the obvious exceptions.)

Back in the day, before refrigeration became commonplace in pubs and homes, we had to rely on Pubs maintaining “a good cellar”, which usually meant that the beer was served a few degrees below ambient.

I and many others still prefer this temperature. It is relatively easy to achieve in an unheated garage or garden shed!

Enjoy!
I think it depends on the beer. Certainly I serve English ales and stouts at cellar temperature (12-14) but some beers are also nice cold, my saison is really nice cold (not because it’s horrible at warmer temps! 😂 ).

I think it depends on the beer. Certainly I serve English ales and stouts at cellar temperature (12-14) but some beers are also nice cold, my saison is really nice cold (not because it’s horrible at warmer temps! 😂 ).
Cellar temp. 👍

I keep my fridge at 12C. Enables fermentation of lager too. Which is very rare in my house. I don't drink much lager.

I agree that some beers (especially lagers) are best served chilled, but I think that paragraph also contains my take on what may be wrong with drinking chilled beer!

There is no mention of “ambient temperature”; and for me the beer should be closely linked to the temperature of the day. e.g. Drinking a lager at 14*C on a cold day in winter would not be a great experience; similar to drinking a pint of bitter at 8*C on a hot summers day!

It’s very much a personal thing, but it cannot be denied that the chilling of beer prior to drinking only came about when we moved over to mass production, produced some very “iffy” beers (Watneys Red Barrel?) and refrigeration became a common fact of life.

Sorry.
:hat:

There is no mention of “ambient temperature”; and for me the beer should be closely linked to the temperature of the day.
No need to apologise, you’re allowed a preference ;)

The question is what you mean by ambient. I serve my beers at ambient but I determine what that ambient temperature is by controlling the temperature of my brew-shed. For a long time I didn’t control the temperature and that meant drinking English ales at close to freezing in the winter and at up to 30 degrees in the summer, neither of which were as nice as during the months where temperatures were between 10 and 16 degrees. If you mean the temperature inside your home then you are effectively controlling the temperature with heating in the cold months and maybe trying to find somewhere cool in the summer to store your beer. This is really what I’m trying to achieve with “cellar” temperature.

It was actually through heat damage to some of my beers a couple of years ago that I finally decided to control temperature but I do enjoy a good room temperature cask ale when I come across one.👍

Back