How do I know how strong my wine is?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When i firsts started making supermarket juice wines i found because you have to leave head-space in a DJ the hydrometer reading is wrong, in the end i stopped using a hydrometer if the total sugar content is 1100g it will end around 13%.

probably as they are cheap enough buy another hydrometer to double check the original one is reading correctly

An easy way to test a hydrometer is to use still bottled or distilled water (@ 20°c), it should read 1.000

To be honest, if I am doing a kit - wine or beer - and are just following the instructions and not doing any funky pimping... I don't even bother using a hydrometer. I only use it to confirm its finished brewing after a couple of weeks.

If it says add 1kg of DME, or 3kg of sugar - it will be right.

Did anyone else read this is "How do I know how strong my wife is?"
Yeah, I was thinking about maybe trying to suffocate her but man alive she looks like she could put up a fight.
I've been watching too much TV Burp on youtube.

To be honest, if I am doing a kit - wine or beer - and are just following the instructions and not doing any funky pimping... I don't even bother using a hydrometer. I only use it to confirm its finished brewing after a couple of weeks.

If it says add 1kg of DME, or 3kg of sugar - it will be right.

I agree but I also do a lot of woodwork and we use a saying "Measure twice cut once".
I've had a low hydrometer read after making up to a recipe but knew I'd put the required amount of sugar in. Then I realised I'd looked at the pounds scale not the Kg scale when measuring.
Nothing wrong with double checking.

Back