How do I reduce this FG?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I made a dopplebock a few months ago and it's been in the fermenter since. The OG was 1.093 and it's been at 1.026 for a long time now which would suggest fermentation has finished. I tried a sample, it's nice but far too sweet and I'd like to bring the FG down further and dry it out.

I used WLP 518 Opshaug yeast, the beer is currently >8% and 70% attenuated. According to the WLP website this yeast has an attenuation of 70-80% and a tolerance of 8-12% abv. Considering that I didn't take great care of this yeast when pitching or fermenting it seems the yeast has done what it can.

Is there a neutral yeast I could use to finish the job off? Get it down to >= 1.019? Was thinking champagne yeast or maybe even US-05?

Thanks.

Here's the grain bill:

upload_2020-1-23_17-6-41.png

Either of your suggestions should do the job. I'd be inclined to go for US-05.

I added amylase enzyme. It got the brew down to 1.000 which I'm sure would be too low but the OG was only 1.027 which the notty got it down to 1.006 and the Enzyme did the rest

I don't think I want it that low, and I've read mixed things about adding enzymes to beer.

If I add more yeast, does it make a difference adding it to stronger than average beer? 8% is not an ideal environment for it to work in.

I have a black IPA sitting on MJ44, will bottle this soon and can pitch a healthy amount into the dopplebock. Would a couple of tablespoons of slurry be enough?

Back