How do I use a pressure bulb

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyPitralon

Reaction score
Hello

Another one from the newbie:

With my kit I bought a King pressure keg with an S30 bulb (8 grm) holder, including the valve conversion kit. Three days ago I racked the cider.
  1. Is there a particular time when I should fit the holder and inject gas?
  2. Having never used one of these before, how exactly do I inject gas, or does the whole bulb simply empty into the vessel when being screwed in?
  3. Is there a rule of thumb how many of these bulbs I might have to use for 17 litres?
As always, many thanks for any advice

You should have primed the keg with the correct amount of sugar to enable secondary fermentation. This will supply initial carbonation to add fizz to your brew and pressure to the keg so you can serve it. Use the bulbs to regass when/if the pressure drops.

???
An 8gr bulb is for use with a "pin valve", and an S30 valve is for use with... ... an S30 cylinder.
Two (slightly) different methods of injecting gas. The S30 valve is pretty much the same, but without the piercing pin.

The wee bulbs are a "one off".injection of gas.
Dont know if a king keg will give enough carbing for cider though.
As Clint says the INITIAL carbing should be done by means of secondary fermentation.

Re. the S30 valve - I think that is why I needed the conversion kit so the lid/valve combination the King keg comes with as standard can be used with the 8grm bulbs. I might look at the option of using gas cylinders instead at some point in the future.

Latest posts

Back