How do you de-ice your car windows.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the windscreens cracking comes form when they were toughened glass as opposed to the laminated glass used now now ?
I was always told it was a definite no no by my Dad.

I have spent a few minutes googling and it seems the jury is out on whether using boiling water to de-ice a screen is a bad idea, i will stick to warm water and salt it does the trick without the risk.

Last edited:
In Norway you can buy off the peg a mains operated heater element in a small alloy box, and fittings to plumb it into the engine cooling system. This is plugged into the house supply at night, so in the morning everything is nicely warmed up and ready to go. I know this as a company I used to deal with fitted them to lifeboat engines they manufactured (which had to start at sub-zero temperatures), and it is surprising that nobody seems to have marketed the system over here.

it is surprising that nobody seems to have marketed the system over here.

They would be worth installing if you have a drive or off the road parking but not much good if you like me live on a terraced street and rarely get a park outside your house, if i did have a drive i would put a small electric fan heater on the back seat and run it for 10 minutes before i set off most have most now have a tip-over switch to shut the heater off should it fall over so no safety worries.

Sit wife in car.

Go back into house on pretext you have forgot summat.

Text wife on burner phone "Hey up big lass, you could do wi' dropping a couple of dress sizes".

Return to car.

Drive off in perfect visability.

Text wife on burner phone "Hey up big lass, you could do wi' dropping a couple of dress sizes".
Return to car.

Drive off in perfect visability.

:laugh8:

images

As the average age of my cars must be about 30 I am a warm water man and never had a problem.

Thread did remind me of a story I once heard where a biker had his ignition switch freeze. Another passing biker said “I’ll sort that chum.” Pulled out his todger and pee’d on the ignition switch, bike started, all sorted.

A week or so later he found a note on his bike from the father of the stuck biker thanking him for stopping and helping out as if he hadn’t then his daughter may have been stuck there for hours.:laugh8:

Not windscreens but here's a tip to stop your car doors freezing shut overnight. Wipe or spray silicone oil over the rubber seal inside the door and it'll open like it were summer. W5 silicone spray is about £2 I think at lidl.

If someone steals it while you are sat indoors your insurance will not pay out hence the reason for the earlier question.

But if you can't see to drive, how could a car thief? ;)

Haven't bothered to myself, but here in Canada some people mix alcohol and water in a mister bottle to spray on the windshield. Supposed to work like a charm. To prevent frosting up of the inside of the windows, allow the inside of the vehicle to air out a bit before closing it up for the night; less chance of internal condensation.

I just use a scraper. If it's really cold out, as it is now, I'll start the car and let it warm for fifteen minutes.
Water sounds like a good idea but I haven't found scraping to be enough of a bother to do anything else.

I pour 2 litres of home made beer on the frozen screen, works like a charm. Of course I hold back the sludge from the bottom as I will need that for slug traps later in the year.

stand by for response from Cliff......

Latest posts

Back