How do you make your Hop tea?

Discussion in 'General Beer Brewing Discussion' started by YouFUMS, Sep 3, 2017.

Help Support The Homebrew Forum UK by donating:

1. Sep 22, 2019 #21

MiAlBrew

MiAlBrew

MiAlBrew

Could you incorporate the carbonation sugar to the hop tea? I've got a batch in the FV at the moment that I was intending to dry hop. I like the idea of using a tea, having had hoppy bits in the bottles of the last batch.

My thought is that by combining hops and sugar in a tea added to the bottling bucket before siphoning the brew in would reduce the amount of water added at the end and therefore diluting the beer.

2. Sep 22, 2019 #22

kelper

kelper

kelper

Landlord.

Fine, just don't add milk.

Dutto likes this.
  3. Sep 22, 2019 #23

MiAlBrew

MiAlBrew

MiAlBrew

:laugh8: What? No dunking of digestives?

4. Sep 25, 2019 #24

ExpatBrewer

ExpatBrewer

ExpatBrewer

Technically this is incorrect. Hop alpha acids are increasingly isomerised at higher temperatures approaching boiling point. The question is will it contribute and detectable bitterness? This will depend largely on the quantity and the AA% of the particular hop used. I high alpha hop may well add a small degree of detectable bitterness after a 5 minute boil but as someone mentioned above, using low alpha hops would help minimise any additional detectable bitterness extracted during a short boil.

The various aromatic compounds found in hops are quite volatile and evaporate off at different temperatures and because of this it's often suggested to steep the hops at temperatures below 80ºC. There are some that steep at temps much lower than this too, but I believe the duration of the steep would likely need to be longer as you start to approach what would be more like a dry hopping situation.