How do you reduce a recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dieseljockey

Regular.
Reaction score
This may seem easy to you guys and somewhat stupid to ask...... :grin:
when you have a recipe for 5galls....if you want to make 1 gall to see if it's one you will like how do you reduce it....it can't be simple... like divide by 5 :hmm: can it?????????????

alien.gif

cheers C B and it don't alter the makup of the brew....?????
I said it was a daft Q :rofl:

now I know.. I want to have a go at Brewstew's "Rauchbier recipe"

alien.gif

Im not sure that works. I think divide by 5 is correct for the receipe but it gets fiddly with calculating sparging, grain and trub losses etc. Just watch out for those.

Now you've got me worried again :wha:

would you not follow the mash/sparging/ boil times as per the recipe?????
sparging would be shorter due to less Liquor because of the smaller batch

alien.gif

Like they say about winemaking, it takes no longer to make 5 gallons than it does to make one, and it lasts nearly twice as long :drunk:

I consistently brew 1 gallon batches es due to lack of space, and while it takes relatively longer to make a 1 gallon batch and it doesn't last so long, it's still not to be sniffed at whilst learning about processes, what beers you like, how you like to brew, experimenting etc! I have made a few very tasty 1 gallon batches! There! I've said it! :sulk:

And yes, just divide by 5 to go from 5 to 1 gallon batches! Dead space, trub loss and all that jazz is over-complicating things if you're just trying to work out what you like!

Dennis

I thought GW's web site would be interesting and useful, unfortunately the only thing in there is the beer engine and it only works for Windoze users. :nono:

Latest posts

Back