How far can you push the hops?!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

stevej

Started to think how far you can push your hop bill? wheres the boundary from nice ale to ruined ale through to many hops

To date my latest brew and with the biggest hop bill is standing at 23 ltrs with 320g of hops in

So whats your biggest hop bill to how many liters and was it any good?

Most I've done is 10/12g ish per litre. Around 250g in 23 litres.

I've probably hit around 200g in a 23 litre batch. With dry hopping you can go pretty mad, but remember about diminishing returns. Russian River (the guys who make Pliny) add several staged dry hop additions. Not sure what that achieves.

I've just put 260g in to an AIPA brew. It's only my second brew but I was looking for a real hop bomb affair. 90g were dry hopped and most of the rest went in late in the boil.

May have screwed up when I dry hopped slightly as I mentioned in another thread but hopefully it will taste OK. It smelled incredible.

How do you avoid losing a lot of wort with so many hops ?....I let the wort drain from the boiler naturally so lose a couple of litres in the remaining hops even with only 50-80grm in the boil. . I don;t squeeze the hops/trub to avoid any harsh flavours coming through. Is that over cautious????

It's probably the entirely wrong approach for a newbie but I just wanted to make something really hoppy that I would enjoy drinking. My first brew was a Proper Job clone which I'm drinking now. It's nice despite a slight soapy taste which is fading with time but lacks IBUs as I boiled the bittering hops in too concentrated wort. This one should be about 75 IBU and loads of aroma hops. The original gravity was quite a bit lower than expected (1.054) which i'm not sure about but it will still make a strong pint.
AIPA%20recipe.jpg

Pellets soak up a lot less beer than whole hops. Or you can stick whole hops in a blender.

Started to think how far you can push your hop bill? wheres the boundary from nice ale to ruined ale through to many hops

To date my latest brew and with the biggest hop bill is standing at 23 ltrs with 320g of hops in

So whats your biggest hop bill to how many liters and was it any good?

I've used 320g for 20ltr in an IPA a couple of times and they've turned out great, but not as hoppy as I'd expect. I've often wondered if doing a 15ltr boil and topping up with water in the FV dulls the effects somewhat.

Just had a quick sample to see how mine is tasting, after just 24 hours of dry hopping the aroma and taste is immense :grin:

when I liked your post it should have said 'dad of jon likes this shed load of hops in beer malarky!'

I tend to put 50g in a boil 100g in at FO then 100 DH.

one day i'll try 400g, but that would be uber expensive if done with dme, i'd have to go AG to balance out the cost if I wanted to carry on with that.

I can hear darth clibit now - 400g - 400g - 400g :eek:

ps. I have possession of your bottle, i must get caps that colour. :thumb:

From what I can gather the breweries that make super hippy beers put mist of the hips in after the boil. Starting with a steep/ hop stand / whirl pool, maybe passing the wort through a hop back on the way to the chiller. And then maybe dry hopping. I assume that moving the hops in the wort, by whirl pooling, or passing the wort through the hops, in a hop back or hop rocket, improves the removal of hop oils.

when I liked you post it should have said 'dad of jon likes this shed load of hops in beer malarky!'

I tend to put 50g in a boil 100g in at FO then 100 DH.

one day i'll try 400g, but that would be uber expensive if done with dme, i'd have to go AG to balance out the cost if I wanted to carry on with that.

I can hear darth clibit now - 400g - 400g - 400g :eek:

ps. I have possession of your bottle, i must get caps that colour. :thumb:

I Buy a bag of 1000 off Ebay mixed colours cheap as chips Dad, hope you enjoy the ale anyway :grin:

Just had a quick sample to see how mine is tasting, after just 24 hours of dry hopping the aroma and taste is immense :grin:

48 hours later the hops are now removed :whistle: ok i will admit maybe to far on quantities with this hop:oops:

I've used 320g for 20ltr in an IPA a couple of times and they've turned out great, but not as hoppy as I'd expect. I've often wondered if doing a 15ltr boil and topping up with water in the FV dulls the effects somewhat.

I have topped up the difference with a hop tea before and it made a huge difference!

Back