How good is a Woodforde Wherry?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen1546

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi

I've been brewing kits now for a couple of years.

I finally got around to brewing the Woodforde Wherry after reading lots of positive reviews.

Anyhoo, after only 1week of letting the bottles carbonate i gave a bottle a try.

I have to say after 1 week it tasted really promising. Of all the kits I have brewed none tasted as good as this after only 1 week in the bottle

How improved does this beer get after say 2 months in the bottle?

Thanks

Stevie

I brewed this kit and it was quite good young. Better after about 6 weeks. But as a kit I've had better kits. there is nothing wrong with it, just I think there are better out there.
I actually prefer the "Simply bitter" kits to this one.

Mine definitely improved a lot with a couple of months in the bottle.

I think Wherry is a great beer after about a month, but the head retention is even better with one jar of H&B LME, this also adds a bit more strength IMHO
Thanks for that - are you using bottles or PBs and would it work for either ?

H&B - LME = Holland and Barratt Liquid Malt Extract ? I found it on their Website so if thats it do you put all the 454g in - and at the start ? Does that tip also stand for Admirals Reserve and Nelsons Bitter (Revenge) s well

Personally replying to the OP I really love Wherry and find that it improves all the time it is in the PB sp presumably will in bottles too. The Reserve I bottled recently for a mates big Birthday was "ace" after 8 weeks

I think Wherry is a great beer after about a month, but the head retention is even better with one jar of H&B LME, this also adds a bit more strength IMHO
Might give that a go the next time I make it. Cheers

Thanks for that - are you using bottles or PBs and would it work for either ?

H&B - LME = Holland and Barratt Liquid Malt Extract ? I found it on their Website so if thats it do you put all the 454g in - and at the start ? Does that tip also stand for Admirals Reserve and Nelsons Bitter (Revenge) s well

Personally replying to the OP I really love Wherry and find that it improves all the time it is in the PB sp presumably will in bottles too. The Reserve I bottled recently for a mates big Birthday was "ace" after 8 weeks
Use bottles, will keep 20 or so for crimbo hopefully!

I first brewed wherry years ago and really enjoyed it at the time, in fact it was always rated as one of the very best.

After coming back to home brewing after a break of 7 years I turned immediately to a Wherry.
Sadly I now find it somewhat lacking, almost to the point of pulling an involuntary wince while forcing myself to drink it.
I don't know if I screwed-up the brew (quite possibly) or if my taste buds have changed over the years but the experience has put me off from brewing it again.

I've since brewed a range IPA, a youngs cider and a MJ Grapefruit IPA, all of these far exceeded my wherry in terms of drinkability for me.

Ok after one month, kept getting better as time went on. Had the last one last week after nearly 6 months in the bottle, and it was the best one and I enjoyed it. If you can, try to be patient so you can enjoy them at their best.

I still brew the occasional Wherry even though I'm mainly an AG beer, it makes a nice no-nonsense beer that's better after about 6 weeks. I've tried tweaking it over the years with various dry hops but have come to the conclusion that it doesn't need tinkering with, just needs time to mature.

I bottled a Wherry five weeks ago and it tasted quite nice when I tried one last week. I might try another later. It's a lovely colour and very clear. It's a bit bland for my taste as I like a well hopped IPA but I'm pleased how it turned out.

I've got Woodfordes' Tinsel Toes in a fermenter ready for bottling. It's also cleared nicely and it's really tasty. I made it as the instructions except for leaving the hop bag in a bit longer. I'm looking forward to sampling the first bottle in a few weeks time.

It's an interesting read this. Back when I started brewing about 15 years ago, Wherry was always highly recommend

I brewed it once back then and wasn't a fan to be honest - it just wasn't my thing and I was more of a lager man.

Saying that now, I shifted off lager to IPAs and other ales so Wherry might be more my thing now albiet it is probably a bit bland compared to a nice hoppy ale I still wouldn't buy it though as I know how much I like Young's American IPA and other kits so I wouldn't risk it.

Back