How i airate my wort.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rukula

Regular.
Reaction score
Maybe not much of a complete guide, but i thought i would share this with you guys. :cheers:

I have this technique i have been using for a while, and come to think of it, i haven't seen anybody else using it...
I got a Vinturi wine aerator for Christmas about two years ago. Its a small clear plastic thingie, where you pour your wine trough, before it hits the glass. Suction forces air into the wine trough one hole on each side.

This is what it looks like.. As you can see, it handles a good fast pour, and it comes out almost foamy looking.
vinturi.jpg

I started using this on my beer, when i was racking it from the pot, into the fermenter. It just handles the amount coming out of the hose, and it airates the wort really really well.

On top of that, mine came with a filter, as you can see here (placed inside the device itself):
vinturi.jpg

This catches various stuff in the wort, like for example hops.

I really love this for my wine, when i don't have time for decanting it, and it just works so well on the beer as well. I can highly recommend this method! And judging from what I've seen on this forum, some of you guys really need new ways to do this. :lol:

This is not in any way advertising for this specific product. There are probably other models out there that does the same job, but this is the model i have experience with

I have always whisked until my arm is too sore to hold a pint, there are airators out there, I have one in fact, just never used it for wort airating. :wha:

so cheers :cheers: ideas are always great

calumscott,

Hows things ? That Titan Power Paint Mixer i used once to mix a small batch of plaster when decorating the home
and i found the nut on the base of it scratched the bottom of the bucket to pieces and them pieces were in the plaster
when i was troweling it on the wall.

I know you can avoid this with keeping it off the bottom and sides of the FV but one slip of the hand and BOOM dodgy batch
and a ruined FV.

After seeing what it did to my hardened 42 ltr bucket I would not take the risk. :nah:

I´m brewing some beer as i type this, and i am snapping some pictures during my session, and post some pictures of me doing it this way later tonight

A paint mixer is probably more usefull when doing huge batches, but mine are small, so this is brilliant...

I use a stainless steel balloon whisk in an electric wort whizzer (otherwise known as a hand blender), froth the brew up until the bucket's brim full, and don't get a sore arm.

PB10100907.jpg

Ouch........ Just Googled it and it is £35 !!!!!! I think I will continue with my plastic paddle method. It works and despite the effort cost £2.

bobsbeer said:
Ouch........ Just Googled it and it is £35 !!!!!!
Well it wasn't bought primarily as a wort whizzer, it's a very useful tool for chopping stuff, whipping cream, blending soups and all sorts of other culinary applications.

But it's a bloody brilliant wort whizzer :thumb:

.ABV. said:
calumscott,

Hows things ? That Titan Power Paint Mixer i used once to mix a small batch of plaster when decorating the home
and i found the nut on the base of it scratched the bottom of the bucket to pieces and them pieces were in the plaster
when i was troweling it on the wall.

I know you can avoid this with keeping it off the bottom and sides of the FV but one slip of the hand and BOOM dodgy batch
and a ruined FV.

After seeing what it did to my hardened 42 ltr bucket I would not take the risk. :nah:

The point is to get air into the wort. Air is not at the bottom or the sides...

You keep the screw just below the surface so it pulls air down in to the wort, you're not trying to mix it like you would paint or plaster.

:thumb:

EDIT: Photo's will follow on the next brewday over Christmas... :)

I find I get a good frothy head of foam simply by pouring the wort out the boiler and into FV. What would further aeration with a whisk do? I currently no complaints about the quality of the beer.

i was reading whitelabs info on yeast and it says something like mixing by hand will only get around 10% of needed aeration , i'm thinking of getting a stone .

Back