How I made a Graincoat for £5

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strange-steve

Quantum Brewer
Reaction score
In Lidl the other day I spotted a 6m x 0.5m roll of radiator reflector for £4.99, so I bought it and made a graincoat for my GF. A single roll is actually enough to make 5 coats, so if you make a balls up as I did then no worries :thumba:

You'll need scissors, Stanley knife or similar, measuring tape, sharpie pen and some tape.
Y1MdNYz.jpg

First thing was to cut a piece at 1050mm which is enough to wrap around with a bit of overlap. The roll I had was 0.5m wide which is just about perfect for the height of the GF.
qKzFbT1.jpg

Next I measured and marked (on the white side) the cutouts for the lid clamps, controller etc. The reason for the oddly shaped box in the middle is to allow the flaps to push in behind the controller as you'll see later.
9wHDPyi.jpg

Use the scissors and knife to cutout and you then have this, ready to be attached. I put a little piece of tape at the ends of the 2 slots on the left to stop them tearing.
Uyv0p0o.jpg

To fit to the GF, first remove the controller, then start by sliding the left hand side of the coat behind the recirc pipe...
Kk9KPJ7.jpg

Then fold and slide the two flaps of the controller cutout behind the controller bracket from the top and bottom...
kF4tMrg.jpg

Wrap it around the GF and secure. I've used some string temporarily, but a couple of bungee cords will be ideal.
La3FK8h.jpg

Next reattach the controller and you're done.
q6ekgyn.jpg

Is it pretty, not really but it does the job. I did a quick test and it definitely gets up to mash temperature a bit more quickly, I'll give it a proper test next brewday.

If anyone wants the measurements for the cutouts let me know and I'll see if I can upload them :hat:

Measurements would be great if you can please Steve.
I have to boil with the french doors open and it was noticeably longer getting to the boil at the weekend.

Latest posts

Back