How important is the type of yeast?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pit Creature

Reaction score
I’m planning my first all grain brew and the recipe i’m looking at (and adapting) uses Wyeast - London Ale III which seems to cost a fortune everywhere I’ve looked. Would there be a big difference if I used a cheaper yeast like a US Pale Ale yeast from crossmyloof?

You can get several brews from one pack of liquid yeast that makes it more economical than dried yeast but if you are just starting AG I would leave that until further down the line

If you think the preferred yeast looks expensive, then for the first AG, just use a dried yeast at a couple of pounds. So much to go wrong at first that a few brews to get used to the process are useful, before you add the pressure of feeling that you need to get it "right" because the yeast cost more than the rest of the ingredients put together.

Yeast may be everything, but the beer will be great, with a run-of-the-mill yeast nonetheless.

You can get several brews from one pack of liquid yeast that makes it more economical than dried yeast but if you are just starting AG I would leave that until further down the line
How does that work?
Do you just leave some in the packet?

There are a few ways of doing it. Probably the easiest is to make a malt extract starter and allow it to ferment out, around three days. Shake well so the settled yeast and spent wort are well mixed and pour into 5 or 6 sterilized containers then store in the fridge. About 3 days before you intend to brew make another starter with one of the yeasts and it will be ready for when you brew.

There are a few ways of doing it. Probably the easiest is to make a malt extract starter and allow it to ferment out, around three days. Shake well so the settled yeast and spent wort are well mixed and pour into 5 or 6 sterilized containers then store in the fridge. About 3 days before you intend to brew make another starter with one of the yeasts and it will be ready for when you brew.
I've been ag for around 3 years now and it still sounds daunting, moving from dried yeast to liquid yeast and harvesting yeast etc. So much easier with dried and I'm happy with all my brews so far. I'm aware I'm missing out but I'm content.

I have done 90% ish of my brews with Nottingham/Gervin and its good for most styles and has a great temperature range. If its you first go I wouldn't worry about it too much and start experimenting with yeasts once you get to grips with everything else. There are some styles where the yeast is very important but for most pale ales bitters stouts and IPAs Nottingham is good or a choice of S04 or US05 are all fine.

I too agree the yeast is important but there are a lot of good dried yeasts out there and also some not so good liquid yeasts too. In my opinion unless you are doing a true to type or a exact/near enough clone of a beer I would stick to dried yeasts as liquids are expensive and to maximise them you need to harvest them to reduce the cost. I have used the CML US Pale Ale yeast in exactly the type of beer you are considering doing and it turned out well but it will be the large amount of hops that give you the cloudiness as Slid says dried yeasts are good enough for most of us and liquid is a expensive thing to use when starting out and more for the future after quite a few brews under your belt

Please understand this is a kit Brewer giving advice on AG brewing. By the time you get to pitching the yeast you may well appreciate a yeast like a Wilko Gervin (Nottingham) that you can just sprinkle on top, put the lid on the FV walk away and not have to think about for week or even two as its that reliable. And, you'll get at least another three brews out of the trub.

Yeast is very important, but not so much whether it's dried or liquid yeast.

I use liquid yeast as I can get several brews from one pack, and there is a wider range to choose from.

But if the strain of yeast you want exists in dried form, by all means use it. I'm not sure how much better the beer would be just because you used a liquid yeast.

I'd also recommend dried yeast when you're at the start of your home-brewing career as it's easier and there's less room for error, meaning you can focus on mastering the other aspects first.

It’s going to be like a NEIPA hopefully. I’ve ordered crossmyloof’s US Pale Ale yeast, hopefully that’ll be okay.

There's an episode on the Beersmith podcast where they go through recommended Yeast and Hops for a NEIPA.
From the top of my head English Style Yeasts with a fruity ester are appropiate for the style.
American 'Chico' type yeast may finish too clean

I went with S-04. I started fermentation on Saturday and it went off like a rocket. Day 4 now and gravity is down to 1010 from 1055. Reckon it would be too early to bottle on day 8?

Back