How long can grain keep?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I use the grain?

• Yes

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jake Michael

Reaction score
I ordered the grain for two brews last October but due to life getting in the way I have only been able to brew one of the beers.

My question is, will the grain for my 2nd beer be okay to use 5 months after receiving it?

I have kept it indoors in the dry, in a room that would have stayed around 20 degrees C and it is for a stout.

I've now got the time to brew again and I want to brew this next weekend but don't want to use the malt if it would drastically affect the end result of the beer.

Has anyone got any experience of using old grain?

I think the answer is yes as long as it has been kept dry and preferably at cool temps. Just open it and smell it as you have handled grain before you should know how it smells only avoid if it smells cheesy or foisty is my advice. A lot of us on here buy 25kilo bags and struggle to use them in 5 months.

I use crushed grain all the time and store it in plastic storage boxes as per bought at B&M etc and keep them for a lot longer than the 5 months. I do not disbelieve some people who say it should be used fresh but it is not as critical as the naysayers say, I have kept crushed for upto 12 months with no detriment or real loss in efficiency and if there is just add slightly more grain it is better than throwing it,
IF IT LOOKS ALRIGHT AND SMELLS ALRIGHT THEN CHANCES ARE IT IS ALRIGHT
remember is is a best before date

Cheers guys.

It is crushed as I don't have the means to crush it myself. I have dealt with grain before but only twice so not experienced but I'll follow your advice and if it doesn't smell right then I'll buy some more but if not I'll brew away athumb..

Taste a grain or two like any good chef would do with his ingredients. I always do, and I'm a rubbish chef.

It should be slightly crunchy, dry and a bit sweet. If it's soft, flavourless and cardboardy then chances are it's taken up moisture and is past its best.

Latest posts

Back