How long can I leave a brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YeandAle

Reaction score
I've brewed a kit 2 weeks ago and I just haven't had the time to bottle it yet. How long can I leave it in the bucket before I need to bottle? It's at a pretty consistent temperature of around 18 degrees

Many thanks

I've left stuff in the FV for well over a month and it's been ok. I think the little bit of extra time helps the yeast clean up and settle a bit more.

Put a Festival Landlords Finest on a Wednesday, went on holiday for two weeks on the Saturday, came home and added the hops the next Monday I came back, then couldn't bottle until Friday, so that was getting on for four weeks.

No issues. Lots of yeast dropped out so nice and clear when bottling. A month should be fine. I've heard of stuff left longer than that and still be fine but the longer you leave it the higher the risk of infection I guess, although hops and alcohol are excellent preservatives hence the idea behind IPA in the 19th Century!!!

There's something to be said for patience in brewing! And forget kit instruction timescales - they're way too short a timescale for good beer. I think it likes to sit on the trub a while?

Latest posts

Back