How long have you been brewing for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fury_tea

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's getting on for 2.5 years for me. I have come so far in that time, from my first attempts at pimping Wilko kits to all grain brewing and recipe creation.

The only way is up really. I can't see me ever getting bored of brewing because I love drinking so much haha!

Started when I was 16 after getting distracted from Carol Young's legs by something my chemistry teacher had said. First attempt was an abject failure and I was determined to find out why. It didn't take long. That was in the days when you could sneak into a pub at lunchtime in school uniform, order a half of bitter and be told to sit quietly in the corner and don't misbehave.

Not counting the 3 or 4 boots brews in the early 80’s.Just about a year.But can remember when beer was a penny a loaf 😍

2 years kits
1 year extract they say
I just get ingredients and throw it together
As of today I'm the proud owner of peco boiler and all the bits
And maybe more have to pick up something from family tomorrow as a birthday present
So looking like I'm ag no matter what
Scary stuff lol

Just over 2 years for me. It started when I was gifted a kit for Christmas by my partner's parents, something that I never would have thought of doing myself at the time. I don't think they realised that I would have to buy a set of equipment to make it but it didn't matter because I was hooked straight away. So a couple of kits, then a couple of partial mashes and then on to all grain. A fast and steep learning curve but great fun and still learning all the time. I've recently brought my first corny keg set up and ro filter to keep the improvements coming. Of course being a member of this forum has been invaluable throughout, cheers acheers.

Just over 10 years, started when I was 18 with a Wherry kit and evolved from there! 🍺

Started when I was 19 and it was not good, on and off now for 30 years. The last 10 years making the best beer. all grain and kits.

Started when I was 16 after getting distracted from Carol Young's legs by something my chemistry teacher had said. First attempt was an abject failure and I was determined to find out why. It didn't take long. That was in the days when you could sneak into a pub at lunchtime in school uniform, order a half of bitter and be told to sit quietly in the corner and don't misbehave.
I remember those days, a week's school dinner money bought three pints of bitter and ten Number 6

Brewed kits in the 80s they were terrible I used a brew belt and if I think back I reckon the FV was running about 30 degrees or more. Started kits again four years ago after finding this forum, First one was a Wherry, a few pimped Wilkos stout, evil dog ipa, some brewferm belgians then about 6 months in I did a partial mash Imperial Stout and was blown away so went AG.

I just started this year, so it has been like three weeks and yesterday I drank couple of bottles from the first product, which is Muntons Pilsener, the gassing is not complete I guess, however tasted just fine. I guess won't give up and switch to the whole grain brewing after some time. Cheers

About 15 years for me, although I had a break for about 2 or 3 years in-between. In that time my two local HBS both closed down, although I can't claim that was due to a dip in sales caused by me! A rear shame though as I always bought my stuff from them.

Kits all the way throughout though, but might be tempted to AG when I manage to get a bit more time to myself at some point.

5 and a half years. Asked for a wherry kit for my birthday (July 2015) and cracked open my first bottle the day my son was born. Did my second kit in the November. Picked up a very basic AG set up for £20 on Gumtree in March 2016. Never looked back.

I started mid 1980's on the boots kits and equipment, didn't make anything brilliant, but just about drinkable, I remember flooding my mums best carpet when I forgot to close the pressure barrel tap when I was transferring from FV.... oops ! Then a massive gap for university and kids, then i started again about 10 years ago with the 2 can kits but then saw the light about 6 years ago with all grain, and I've been learning and improving slowly along the way.

Only a strawberry season for me but loving the fact that it's something new to learn about and while I am on a brewday all the other stresses of things going on around me don't matter, I find it a very mindful and relaxing process.

I attempted my first batch Wherry and a couple more aged 16 then stopped for over a decade. Then tried again in July 2017 and haven’t stopped since. So generally I would say about three and a half years, or fourteen depending on what you base it on (but I would generally say 3.5 years).

Started round about 1969 (gulp) when I was 14. Made some wine from fermenting bilberry juice from a can and bakers yeast. It was gorgeous.
Then followed with crappy beer kits with my mate, followed by lots of homemade wine with the mrs. and Boots black box beer kits which were very good. Switched to AG 5 years ago.

Latest posts

Back