How long have you been brewing for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
10 months making beer. My first dabble in brewing was 5 years ago when I made a mead that I messed up and it tasted of TCP and so I knocked brewing on the head for a while. Then in lockdown after seeing a YouTube video I made ginger beer from a starter of wild yeast on the ginger, prompting a surprise homebrew kit for my birthday which had dry extract, steeping grains and hops. Since the kit brew I've done small batch all grain brews every few weeks

10 months making beer. My first dabble in brewing was 5 years ago when I made a mead that I messed up and it tasted of TCP and so I knocked brewing on the head for a while. Then in lockdown after seeing a YouTube video I made ginger beer from a starter of wild yeast on the ginger, prompting a surprise homebrew kit for my birthday which had dry extract, steeping grains and hops. Since the kit brew I've done small batch all grain brews every few weeks

Not sure about wine/mead but in beer TCP taste is often from chlorinated water.
My 1 year+ summer fruits mead tastes like floor cleaner. I am sticking to cider and beer for a while I think.

Not sure about wine/mead but in beer TCP taste is often from chlorinated water.
It was either that or using a bleach solution to sanitise and not rinsing well enough. I used bottled water but can't remember if I topped up with unboiled tap water. If I was still into mead I'd have another go and see if I've improved haha

Longer than I care to remember 😂 around 1974 and have enjoyed every moment of the journey, a truly brilliant hobby 🍻🍻👌

I started when still living at home as a teenager, that was with wine and buying wine making equipment from Boots and trying some pretty awful recipes from First steps in winemaking by CJJ Berry
51N6SNha44L._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

It was pretty awful stuff though that could have been down to my technique of course.
No more brewing until 9 months ago. I had been contemplating setting up a micro with a friend a few years ago but location and circumstances meant that was doomed to fail.
Since June I have made 16 brews, all all-grain bar one, most nice, some very nice and one failure. Still enjoying the journey so I am probably in it for the long game.

Latest posts

Back