How long have you been brewing for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost 6 years. Started with 4x75cl bottle kit from Brewferm (My beer) in spring 2015 for Father's Day, then improvised a beer of DME and Goldings hops before summer, and in autumn of that same year I brewed my first all grain beer (12 bottles), using the coffee/spices mill you see in my avatar.

In the meantime, I have done 69 AG brews. Friends, neighbours and family love them.

9 months so far, I started due to the local becoming an Italian Restaurant/Bar and Lockdown. I think what I lack in experience I make up for in enthusiasm.

Done 1 Extract brew, 5 All grain brew and about 13 kits so far. Only 1 bad batch so far and 1 slightly poor one.

As someone who loves to make stuff but is often too tired to enjoy it afterwards I love Brewing because there is a long cool down between the doing and the enjoying.

Following in my Dad’s footsteps, I made my first couple of attempts at brewing 66 years ago. The first was drunk by forcing it between clenched teeth, the second was ditched. I started again more successfully four years later, so a truthful answer to the question would be 62 years. I switched from malt extract to all grain brewing in 1974, the year Dave Line’s ‘Big Book of Brewing’ was published.

I brewed a lot in the 80'smart. We had a great home brew shop on Little Hulton precinct. You would ask what does this taste like and he would say here try some.
I made tia Maria, baileys, beer kits and 5 Gallonwine kits. One wine kit used to come with labels and I put shrink down tops on.
My neighbour didn't believe I had made it until he translated the French ' produit en chez suiz' produce made in the home.( or something similar).
Recently started again after I found a kit at the back of a cupboard during lockdown 1, two years out of date but it went well.
Set up now for ag brewing.

Started when I was 23 with a Coopers kit which I pimped with some maple syrup. Was drinkable enough but it went downhill from there and I stopped after a couple of years. Had a hiatus until mid-30s when I took it up again (kits still).
I was doing a few brews a year until last year when I tried BIAB for the first time and now I'm properly hooked.

Short version of that is "about 8 years".

I started in abut 1988 whilst at uni, probably made 15 - 20 kit beers, then life got in the way of terrible beer. Then 4 years ago, I was passing the homebrew display in the Range and thought that could be a giggle. Made about 5 kits, which were significantly better than the Boots ones I had made at Uni then switched to AG; stovetop BIAB first, then GF and professionally on 20hl system.

I started in the first lock down I'm not a big drinker and started due to an interest in the science behind it. This quickly grew into an obsession due to having nothing else to do so I've ended up with a dedicated place to brew a small all grain setup and I've planted 20 hop plants in my field, which I've used in a couple of recent beers.

I switched from malt extract to all grain brewing in 1974, the year Dave Line’s ‘Big Book of Brewing’ was published.
Which is still a relevant book and a good read, even if his extraction rates are a bit optimistic. Sits on my bookshelf next to "Making Beers Like Those You Buy", which recipes, compared with similar recipes from today's beer historians, are surprisingly accurate.

Following in my Dad’s footsteps, I made my first couple of attempts at brewing 66 years ago. The first was drunk by forcing it between clenched teeth, the second was ditched. I started again more successfully four years later, so a truthful answer to the question would be 62 years. I switched from malt extract to all grain brewing in 1974, the year Dave Line’s ‘Big Book of Brewing’ was published.
All hail the Coffin Dodger you must have some genuine Victorian recipes :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::coat:

Thirty odd years now. Mainly kits (how they've improved!) in various guises until I arrived here. Started BIAB last summer and love it. Although it's a much longer day, it's really quite therapeutic and fits between other chores. The garage is now part brewery and my first keg is on the way.

40 years on and off for me. Started with kits then moved to AG until the now ex wife decided she wanted to extend one of the bedrooms into my brew room and put all my gear in the shed. Came back to it again about 12 years ago with a couple of two can kits and rediscovered how much I'd missed brewing

Been at it 11 years. Mostly kits, although I intermittently experiment with random ingredient hunts. Will likely try AG once I've really retired (If that ever happens) or when someone sends me the winning lottery ticket.

Yeah, I can do this!

1, 2, 3, 4, ... 37, 38 ... em, okay this is getting a bit hard. I'll come back later.

Est 2015 with a kit as a gift, suckered in with the allure of 40 pints for only £15. When you add the cost of going all-grain, kegs, regs, fridges etc I’ll be lucky to break even in my lifetime and I don’t have a massively fancy setup. Every time I think I’m done adding to my gear there’s always one more thing I “need”.

Latest posts

Back