how long is safe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty198111

Reaction score
just wandered once the bubbles are stopped on a pinlsner kit how long is it safe to wait until it needs to be bottled

t the moment im down to 3 bubbles a min, so i think its not gonna be long till they need bottling

the reason i ask is my capper hasnt turned up yet and it may not be here till thursday

mat

Hey matty!
Do you have a hydrometer? It's really the only 'safe' way to make sure that your brew has finished fermenting. Take readings daily and when it reads the same for 2 or 3 days, then fine to bottle.

As far as 'how long is safe' .... don't worry - for a start, your brew hasn't yet finished fermenting and even when it does, you can safely leave it for a couple of weeks really (if you need to). Are you planning of racking to a secondary?

Don't be tempted to bottle before you are sure the fermentation has finished ...
:cheers:

If its still bubbling its more than likely still fermenting take hydrometer readings and when it stays at a constant for a couple of days its ready for bottle conditioning. I dont see any harm in leaving it in the fv for a while i've left brews in for 3/4 weeks in primary without any spoiling or yeast bite. hope this helps

mick

thanks matey

i just took another and i think it has slightly moved from yesterday not much but a little

how is it unsafe to bottle when still fermenting, will the bottles explode

also what is racking to a secondary, sorry still tryin to learn lol

mat

No prob matty! We all started somewhere and most of us are still learning!

Yup .. bottle when it's still fermenting and you could get bottle bombs (I've got the scars to prove it). Some of us will rack the brew to a secondary fermenter when the fermentation has stopped, it allows the beer to drop clear and takes it off all the yeast and bits in the bottom. This is not absolutely necessary and people will discuss 'til the cows come home on whether it should be done or not. Personally I always rack to secondary.

Tony said:
No prob matty! We all started somewhere and most of us are still learning!

Yup .. bottle when it's still fermenting and you could get bottle bombs (I've got the scars to prove it). Some of us will rack the brew to a secondary fermenter when the fermentation has stopped, it allows the beer to drop clear and takes it off all the yeast and bits in the bottom. This is not absolutely necessary and people will discuss 'til the cows come home on whether it should be done or not. Personally I always rack to secondary.

well i was thinking of putting a post up to ask if i can put it in to pet/ dj's so as it clears and then bottle, tbh i dont mind the sediment in a bottle but if i have a few peeps round it would be easier not have to explain about pouring in glass and watching for sediment, so think i will secondary,, how long do i leave it in there , till its clear?

also would it need to be airlocked

i love this forum lol so many helpful people

I usually secondary for a week to ten days. It doesn't clear completely most of the time but it's a good way of knowing that the fermentation is completely over. Oh and yes, stick a fermentation lock on there :D

Latest posts

Back