How long to leave in primary fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The photos look fine, that's the hop residue on top. Ideally it should drop before kegging, but generally I find the residue sticks to the side of the fermenter as the level drops.
I am surprised you are reading 1.000 on your hydrometer, although it looks like it on your photo, the brew would bottom out above 1.010 I would suggest. Not a problem you've made beer, but I don't think it's right.

As suggested earlier, you are adding priming sugar to the keg, so you will get a bit more fermentation anyway, so doesn't matter if its not 100% finished, but at 18 days I think it probably is!

Get it kegged and primed, so you can look forward to drinking it in a few weeks!
Ok thanks. Maybe it is 1.010.

When I see that hop raft I can see the benefit of hops in a bag with a weight on. Dropped in near the end of ferment they get good exposure and the ongoing ferment mixes the hop aroma around really well.

But the appearances look normal apart from that very low reading. Have you checked the hydrometer in water to see it reads 1.000 in that?

The only other thing would be diastase enzymes in the hops acting on the unfermented sugar and more ferment then starting.

Get it bottled or kegged and see how it goes.

You say it tasted " very strong " anything more specific than that?

20210809_160916.jpg

Tested hydrometer in water and it is a little off, showing 0.998 in water so a little off but presumably negligible? Very strong in terms of alcohol and hops (thought i'd say hops more than alcohol). Thanks, will get it kegged and go from there.

Ok thanks. Maybe it is 1.010.

View attachment 52308
Tested hydrometer in water and it is a little off, showing 0.998 in water so a little off but presumably negligible? Very strong in terms of alcohol and hops (thought i'd say hops more than alcohol). Thanks, will get it kegged and go from there.
I note you're using the Hydrometer case as a trial jar there (correct me if I'm wrong) You may be getting a bit of side drag there - you really need to use a wider vessel to eliminate any potential false readings.

I note you're using the Hydrometer case as a trial jar there (correct me if I'm wrong) You may be getting a bit of side drag there - you really need to use a wider vessel to eliminate any potential false readings.
I am yes. Ok, will look into something wider. Thanks.

If you have the hydrometer in the trial vessel and it doesn't touch the sides is that okay?

Back