How long to mature a grape wine?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
It's probably a "how long is a piece of string?" question but I've made a sparkling wine from Lancashire grown grapes. I crushed the red grapes and got pink juice at 1.085 OG. I've fermented with a champagne yeast, put it in champagne bottles and primed. I only have 2 bottles so I want to drink them when they're good.
Realistically, when will they reach a reasonable point to drink? They are currently in the secondary fermentation stage.

Champagne makers mature the base wine for a year even before bottle fermentation. I recently opened a bottle of my 2016 elderflower champagne and it was significantly better than the one I opened last year. Which variety of grape do you have?

I don't know the grape variety. It's not my vine. This is the first time it has produced grapes big enough to do anything with. The clarity of the 2 bottles is now amazing without any finings. They've had just over 2 weeks of secondary fermentation.

Latest posts

Back