How long will beer keep in a keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I have a couple of Corny kegs on the go then I've fairly routinely kept beer under CO2 for a couple of months. More often than not the last pint is the best, so certainly I'd agree that the lifetime is at least several months. I'd also agree that the lifetime is most likely longer than it will take you to drink it :beer1:

I used a pressure barrel for a few years and then bottled for about twice as long. The last bottle was invariably the best. I wasn't sure if this improvement / lack of deterioration was something to do with the primed conditioning in the final vessel (i.e. real ale). The reason this is such excellent news is that I just wondered whether without that the beers would last so well (if I am able to make them last).

Now I've finally brewed some beers that other people are actually enjoying (I've always enjoyed my beer) using external co2 and closed transfers as well as stable fermentation and conditioning temperatures (lockdown positives) I want to try and make sure I've got plenty for the coming months.

I used a pressure barrel for a few years and then bottled for about twice as long. The last bottle was invariably the best. I wasn't sure if this improvement / lack of deterioration was something to do with the primed conditioning in the final vessel (i.e. real ale). The reason this is such excellent news is that I just wondered whether without that the beers would last so well (if I am able to make them last).

Now I've finally brewed some beers that other people are actually enjoying (I've always enjoyed my beer) using external co2 and closed transfers as well as stable fermentation and conditioning temperatures (lockdown positives) I want to try and make sure I've got plenty for the coming months.
Sounds great, I don't think that you will be dissapointed in the results. If you haven't got your kegs & CO2 equipment already it would be worth searching this forum for the various posts on CO2 pressure regulation. I found that my pressure regulator was a heap of junk & not able to regulate to the 8 psi which I finally found worked for me giving the right carbonation & not delivering a glass of foam. I use a secondary regulator to get the 8 psi. Possibly a bit off-subject so I won't go on but can supply more details if relevant & of interest.

Yep I have that weekly leak
last 2 weeks there empty every 7 days have to keep filling them have to put a stop to it

I've found that the flavor of the moderate/minimal hopped beers last months.... but heavily hopped beers (IPA's) the hop flavor tails off after 3 months. Talking with local craft brewers, they agree that the hopped flavor degrades even in kegs.
If it degrades in air tight bottles and kegs u would wonder where it goes

Had a can of Verdant pale ale on the weekend and the can reads "DRINK FRESH HOPS FADE FAST". Best before was 6 months after packaging date.

Latest posts

Back