How many hops are to many?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I.c.whitts

Reaction score
Evening all

I like a hoppy beer and currently brewing a blank LME with 100g of mosaic.
I do have a Festivals golden ale box which has 50g mix of cascade and Columbus.
I’m very tempted to add another 50g of each and make this kit mega hoppy with 150g total. But can to much dry hopping ruin the brew?

I appreciate it’s mostly individual taste but like most home kit brewers the fine arts of hops is a little confusing.

Any thoughts on hop quantities would be very appreciated

Thanks Ian.

If you have not done the kit before I would do it as per instructions then you have a baseline as to how it taste after pimping. Regards how much dry hop 150 grams is nowhere near what serious hop heads use so I would go for it but as I said I would baseline it first time

If you have not done the kit before I would do it as per instructions then you have a baseline as to how it taste after pimping. Regards how much dry hop 150 grams is nowhere near what serious hop heads use so I would go for it but as I said I would baseline it first time

Thanks.

That’s a interesting comment about serious hop heads. The kits with dry hops Iv done Iv always been underwhelmed. Apart from the tiny rebal cwtch which gave you “double” the amount a kit sea to give. You added half at the start with boiling water.

Evening all

I like a hoppy beer and currently brewing a blank LME with 100g of mosaic.
I do have a Festivals golden ale box which has 50g mix of cascade and Columbus.
I’m very tempted to add another 50g of each and make this kit mega hoppy with 150g total. But can to much dry hopping ruin the brew?

I appreciate it’s mostly individual taste but like most home kit brewers the fine arts of hops is a little confusing.

Any thoughts on hop quantities would be very appreciated

Thanks Ian.
Be wary when using weight additions as people have a tendancy to think in numbers as bigger is better.
What you should be taking into account is the AA% and the oil content of each which defines each hop and it's region from Myrecene and Humulene Oil to US cascade or UK cascade.
Worth a Google.

I'm tempted myself to go crazy with 500g and see what happens I've only used 200g so far and I definitely know I could go more

That is my normal, for a 23 ltr brew, although doing a 460g this time around, including hopstand.

I certainly wouldnt want to be buying hops in 100g bags, Geterbrewed 1kg bags make it a little bit less painfull on the pocket.

I’ve also wondered this, thanks for the input everyone. I’m doing a youngs ipa kit just now as per instructions, but plan to try another with a few additions!

I bloody love beer.

What’s hop burn?
Hop burn is most often perceived after swallowing beer — likely while sipping or sampling a very fresh NEIPA — when the drinker is assessing aftertaste. It's an extreme astringency, akin to sucking on a dry bag of black tea.

Just looked it up on google, I've never sucked on a dry teabag before 😂

I have a recipe for a 18th century IPA somewhere with IBUs (International bitterness Units - the Scoville scale of Hop bitterness) of 156 - however it was meant to go on along journey so presumably by the time they drank it it would have been much milder. There is of course a limit to the amount of IBUs you can taste so having a beer with 1000 IBUs would just be wasted.

Latest posts

Back