how many hops?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsan77

Landlord.
Reaction score
How many total hops in a 5 gallon brew do people use? I guess it depends on the style you brew but are you stingy or frivalous with your hops??

Me I'm normally on the low end of the scale 40-60grm 4-5%AA as I'm not a big hop head, but the last brew used 100grm of 11%AA hops :D

Having a quick look, normally 70g - 100g for 5 gallons - although my last IPA had 340g :shock: - this has a lot more maturing to do though..
And my last session beer had 50g - so they do vary a bit

I tend to go for 50g to 100g per 5 gallon never to really bitter them, just more flavour and aroma in some than others.

I seem to be using 75-100g per 23L batch, usually in increments of 25, 25, 25. It probably depends very much on the style you're brewing and how many IBU you want. My last recipe was 25 (60), 25 (30), 25 (15) and it came out to 41.9 IBU for a pale ale.

On a similar note, I hate emptying my hop socks into the compost after a boil and seeing how green and fresh my 15 minute addition looks. Seems such a waste... Oh well, I still have 75g left in the fridge!

Hope this helps!

It's a bit of a “how long's a piece of string?” question, as this will vary according to what you're brewing and the alpha acids level of the hops, but if you use those IBU things, it seems mine are gradually creeping up.

I started out aiming in the 20-30 range, which is probably similar to many commercial ales, but I've gradually gone for 30-35, 35-40, and for my next brew I'm contemplating Cascade + Centennial to 50-ish.

I had to get my dictionary out for “eldritch” and learned a new word, but I'm wondering the same as gurtpint:
gurtpint said:
Is this the sinister start of my irreversible downward spiral to the eldritch unwholesome depths of the cult of Hop Head...?

as was suggested to me on this very forum, try the brew mate software.
Like everyone is getiing at here things vary a lot by style and preference but i found that in writing recipes on the laptop i could let the software guide me on grains, hops, colour, bitterness, balance etc. And then of course just ignore it completely on brew day and wing it to see what happens in the end.

As a recent convert to AG I am very interested in this subject :)

I know that I don't really like a very dry, ultra-hoppy in the mouth type of beer. I really like dark malty ales... but: I also really like pales that aren't hugely bitter on taste but have big hop aroma and after taste.

Given my recent foray into the wonderful world of making my own beer I am taking more notice of how I taste and then judge a beer when I drink it in a pub. To this end my next AG is going to be a Brains SA clone, because when I had it recently I found it to be utterly delicious: a really great best bitter type taste but with an amazing floral nose and finish.

I'd be interested to know if anyone has a similar taste to me and if so, what are your favourite recipes? I'm planning on a big batch of SNPA for the summer because I think the Cascade and Magnum hops will be just up my street, but any comments much appreciated :thumb:

in my last 23L batch of snpa in January I used 100gm of cascade - I'm just drinking it now and it is rather nice! I'm making another tomorrow with 30gm of Magnum and another 100gm of cascade.

mr_spin said:
in my last 23L batch of snpa in January I used 100gm of cascade - I'm just drinking it now and it is rather nice! I'm making another tomorrow with 30gm of Magnum and another 100gm of cascade.
The Magnum hops arrived yesterday. I'm planning a day off and a 50l brew of SNPA and I can't wait :D

Cracked open a bottle of Amarillo extract that I did about a month ago - WOW. Now that's an interesting taste, absolutely love it. I have a feeling I know which direction I am being pulled...

Latest posts

Back