How many kegs do you own

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many Kegs do you own

• Less than 1

Votes: 9 7.3%

Votes: 9 7.3%

Votes: 17 13.7%

Votes: 24 19.4%

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • More than 4

Votes: 50 40.3%

• Total voters

MikeB.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the need to condition and carbonate before drinking (supposedly) I’m interested in how many kegs/barrels you own.

3 kegs for rotation, as I’ve only got 2 taps so there “should” always be one ready to go when a keg kicks.

3 19l and 2 10l to mix things up.....only running 3 taps though! I’ll hopefully have them all filled soon so I can leave to dark beers and stouts to properly mature!

... but,do commercial breweries leave those type to do that?

of course not........which is why I’m drinking and enjoying a 2 week post kegging stout! I need to convince myself of the need somehow!😆

I have 2 corny, I miscalculated my keg fridge thought it could take 3 as I have a 3 tap font. but only 2 fit. It depends really on how often you brew and how fast you drink. 3 kegs is 60l of beer which is a lot if you are drinking it mostly yourself.

3 x 5lt Kegs, gives me the flexibility of different beers over a weekend. I do the unthinkable! I condition all my beers in bottles and then fill my kegs with my choice of beer from the bottles and before any one gets on about infections I have been doing this for over two years now and never had a problem. Kegs always cleaned and sterilised correctly and beer transfer done in clinical conditions!

Definitely more than 4.

I like to have a continuous supply of the beers I like most which means 2 kegs for each beer so one can be conditioning while one is on tap.

I use some for long-term(ish) storage of beers like Imperial stouts and for other beers I like to have on occasion.

I use some for beers that other family members like so they have something to enjoy when they’re here.

I use some to experiment with different recipes or to try new beers.

3 x 5lt Kegs, gives me the flexibility of different beers over a weekend. I do the unthinkable! I condition all my beers in bottles and then fill my kegs with my choice of beer from the bottles and before any one gets on about infections I have been doing this for over two years now and never had a problem. Kegs always cleaned and sterilised correctly and beer transfer done in clinical conditions!
What is the thought process behind this? Why not drink from the bottles?

4 if your just counting Corny kegs
2 9.5L Corny Kegs
1 12L Corny Keg
1 6.5L Corny Keg

I also have a number of mini kegs (the Dark farm style and similar)
1 10L
6 5L
3 4L
2 2L

But I only have two tap units for these, overall I will typically have 2 minI kegs plus a corny tapped at any one time combined with commercial beer, plus need I bottle it means I can always have a decent enough range of beer.

I have 11 and could do with a couple more as I use them to condition my beers and lager/kplsch styles get left for months. I also need to get a stock for when people come around and can open up the Queen Bee bar for parties
Waiting patiently
IMG-20200621-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200621-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200621-WA0005.jpg

Last night I placed the order for kegs 4 & 5. It's really just my partner and I who drink it although I do give some away. We don't drink a lot but this should give the flexibility to have at least 4 styles on tap at any time athumb..

I have 2 reconditioned old size and 1 9l kegland which is slighter smaller diameter so 3 fit in the kegerator.. I have 3 taps so usually if I haven't finished one of the 19l when it's time to keg the new beer then I close transfer what's left into the 9l to free up the bigger keg. I want another 19l kegland keg now...could do with a spare.

Back