How many kegs do you own

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many Kegs do you own

• Less than 1

Votes: 9 7.3%

Votes: 9 7.3%

Votes: 17 13.7%

Votes: 24 19.4%

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • More than 4

Votes: 50 40.3%

• Total voters
Currently, 3 corneys and 2 dark farm 5L minis. Going to add a 4th corny, I’ve 3 taps and want to have a full one on the bench to rotate in as they run out.
I bought a ball lock top for the mini kegs last week and plan to add a 10L mini to the mix, it should fit in the kegerator alongside 3 corneys though I’ll have to serve from a party tap.

Probably asked before but what is the preferred method of carbonating kegs. Force carb at higher pressure to drink quicker or set at serving pressure and wait.
What is the time frame for higher pressure. 30 psi X 12hrs for example
30psi for 2 mins as I rock the keg back and forth. Put it in the fridge to settle and start drinking within hours. Obviously some beers take longer to condition but hoppy beers can taste just as good without.

I want a 4th keg. I was thinking a 10l as I brew 28l batches, I can fill a full size and a small cornie. Plus it will fit in the fridge with the full size kegs. But a 19l is cheaper and it would mean that I could always brew a 19l batch of one off brews. But it would mean one keg sitting outside the fridge at garage temperature. This time of the year it isn't much of an issue but can get warmer in summer.

When people have full kegs that aren't being drunk, what temp do you keep them at?
Garage temp which is pretty cool at the moment as I have 2 19l in the fridge on tap and another 2 on the garage floor and a pressure barrel on the shelf but still at serving temps as my garage in winter although attached to the house and a double radiator it has a roller door with a big gap brrrrr.

Probably asked before but what is the preferred method of carbonating kegs. Force carb at higher pressure to drink quicker or set at serving pressure and wait.
I blast carb over 24hrs, set to 40PSi and leave it (depending how fizzy I want it) reduce back to serving PSi after 24hrs, reduce time scale for stouts etc..... works for my set up. You will soon get to know what to do. When I first tried it I had a sample after 18hrs and if it was ok I reduced the PSi, if it needed more time I left it........you get the picture.

I want a 4th keg. I was thinking a 10l as I brew 28l batches, I can fill a full size and a small cornie. Plus it will fit in the fridge with the full size kegs. But a 19l is cheaper and it would mean that I could always brew a 19l batch of one off brews. But it would mean one keg sitting outside the fridge at garage temperature. This time of the year it isn't much of an issue but can get warmer in summer.
I too wanted a smaller corny or 2 for a higher ABV beer such as Imperials but they are more expensive/or about the same as a 19L and I can not get my head around it?-tight Yorkshireman

Similar to some others, I set mine 30psi for 2 to 3 days and then reduce to c 15psi for serving. Seems to work well. This is for a heavily hopped IPA though that's best drunk fresh, so you can go from kegging on say Tuesday to drinking on Friday night. I'm also kegging a pilsner at the weekend and given it needs lagering time will just set at my normal serving pressure and leave it for 4 or 5 weeks.

When people have full kegs that aren't being drunk, what temp do you keep them at?
Garage temp which is pretty cool at the moment as I have 2 19l in the fridge on tap and another 2 on the garage floor and a pressure barrel on the shelf but still at serving temps as my garage in winter although attached to the house and a double radiator it has a roller door with a big gap brrrrr.
Same here, garage temp, don't think it matters much so long as they're not sat somewhere really hot all day.

Ive got 10 x 19L cornies and 1 x 5L dark farm keg. I like dark beers and the improvement with conditioning makes a massive difference. Other than the occasional sample I dont drink them before at least 6 months so need to have a good stock aging. I do eventually bottle them from the keg to free the keg up either when I need to bottle some to give away or a comp or if I just need another keg. I bought an larder fridge for about £50 and made metal shelves so I can store 6 full kegs in it. I have another 4 in the keezer so all are kept at about 6-8C.

I too wanted a smaller corny or 2 for a higher ABV beer such as Imperials but they are more expensive/or about the same as a 19L and I can not get my head around it?-tight Yorkshireman
I guess they are less common. Most 19l are from the fizzy pop industry.

Four and a half (9L) cornies. Very rarely use them for serving though, I bottle mainly having more than 10 different beers to choose from at one time.

Currently, two are filled with mixed fermentation beers that are aging for a year on Oak. The others are used as bright/conditioning tanks, or allow me to dry hop with reduced oxidation for really hoppy beers. I also have the option to force carb, prime naturally or bottle condition depending on which method is more appropriate to the beer brewed.

Just one pressure barrel for me. But I don't use it. Thinking I'll eventually convert it into an FV.

Got 8 X 19L Cornies. 4 on tap in the serving larder fridge at 13 degrees. I picked up a 2nd hand Indesit larder fridge for £50 and fitted taps through the door. I also use my old King Kegs as settling kegs which allows the beers to condition and settle out before transferring to the Cornies/bottling.

Latest posts

Back