How many more brews will you make in 2021

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At least 3, maybe 5.

Best Bitter tomorrow (I need this for the Scottish Nationals).

Saison and Trappist single after the bitter has fermented (I have only half a keg of each but need a higher fermentation temp for these).

Maybe another Summer Breeze and another Bitter after those.

I've got grains etc. available for a Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and a Cali Common, but at this time of year with shopping etc, I'll be lucky to get a chance to do one of them...and even that's weather dependant as I do my brews outside with my Klarstein (might need to look out my summer gazebo!!). So, maybe a chance between Christmas and New Year.

I've planned things really badly this year! Looking back, I did six brews in September, and six in October, but, for a variety of reasons, only two in November, and one of those was on the 30th. So stocks now are actually lower than they'be been for some time. Not helped by the fact that two of the brews I had high-ish hopes for have proved pretty ordinary (in the case of the Exmoor Gold), and not good at all (the Liberty Bell affair). Which reinforces my view that I really ought to make 80% of my brews from tried and tested successes in future.

I'll probably do at least a couple more brews before Xmas, though.

I need to get the strawberry wine I started to free up some freezer room strained and into a demijohn and pitched later. Aiming to get another 8l stovetop batch (probably a coffee stout) started on Thursday. Maybe one more on the 18th when Saturdays Bitter gets packed, but that's probably wishful thinking.

None. Bottled final batch last week-end which will just be ready for Christmas.

0 😟

no heavy lifting for a few months....
Whilst having 200 beers down the shed would normally require more brewing to keep stock levels up as i've gone from 25 beers a week to 12 they should at least last twice as long.

My first of the new year will be a 12%+ king kong quad for xmas 2022.
also will be doing face off v2(a sour), kviek neipa, weissbeir, belgian wit, cali common and a random beer - that will cover off most of 2022

I brewed a Vienna lager 2 weekends ago. A local brewery (Walhalla) made a really awesome one and I became really obsessed with the style. Good choice!

I hope to brew a Dubbel and a Japanese Lager before the end of the year.

My Japanese Rice Lager was possibly the best beer i brewed this year.

Just got one more brew scheduled for 2021 and that is a Twiglet Brown Ale....gonna throw in 400g of crushed Twiglets into the mash.

My Japanese Rice Lager was possibly the best beer i brewed this year.

Just got one more brew scheduled for 2021 and that is a Twiglet Brown Ale....gonna throw in 400g of crushed Twiglets into the mash.

I want to try to use a glucoamylase enzyme during my mash to increase fermentability (2/3 pilsner, 1/3 flaked rice) + Sorachi Ace hops to really get that extradry (trademark). Any pointers for me since yours turned out so well? :cool:

Last edited:
I want to try to use a glucoamylase enzyme during my mash to increase fermentability (2/3 pilsner, 1/3 flaked rice) + Sorachi Ace hops to really get that extradry (trademark). Any pointers for since yours turned out so well? :cool:

Interestingly (?) the original design brief I came up with was to brew as dry and as pale and as subtly nuanced flavoured beer as I could and I too considered the use of the Glucoamylase enzyme to achieve this. In the end I didn't bother.

The brew was part of a challenge we did in our local club where we selected an unusual hop from part of Charles Faram's development range and the only stipulation was that folks could brew whatever style they wanted, but it had to exclusively use the chosen hop.

The hop that was settled on was Godiva, a mid AA% hop (that could be used for bittering and flavouring at the will of the individual brewer) with flavour characteristics of white grape, gooseberry and some spice and tangerine. Because these were fairly subtle characteristics I felt that a dry crisp pale lager would be best to showcase the hops.

My recipe was quite simple and I'm happy to share...

Grain bill: 75% Pilsner Malt, 25% Flaked Rice - mashed at 64 degrees for 80 minutes

In the boil I did not use a traditional bittering stage....all hop additions were in the last 15 minutes...

15g of Godiva (6.7%AA) at 15mins; 21g @ 10mins; 30g @ 5 mins; 25g whirlpooled at 80 degrees for 20 mins and then 20g dry hopped for 4 days.

Fermentation was handled by Saflager 34/70 at 10 degrees for 10 days before raising the temp to 15 degrees for 5 days before cold crashing. I then racked to 2ndary and stored at about 2 degrees for 3 weeks before bottling. Normally I might lager for longer but due to the expected delicate nature of the flavours I expected it to be best consumed very young and fresh so didnt want the beer lingering long in 2ndary....just enough time for it to drop clear. Looking for a spritzy carbonated sort of mouthfeel I batch primed with Dextrose at a rate of 7.4g/Litre.

OG was 1.046 (expected 1.043 but I got a higher than expected mash efficiency) and the FG was 1.007....so quite dry enough that my decision to not use the Amylase enzyme was justified. Bitterness was calculated at 20 IBU with a colour of 5 EBC....it was beautifully pale (and crystal clear!!)

I am hoping to squeeze in a rebrew of this in 2022 and would use the Godiva again but perhaps might mix it up with a small amount of Sorachi Ace just for a tad more flavour complexity. I would still do all of the hop additions as "late additions"...I have found this an extremely successful way of extracting ultra clean bitterness from hops whilst allowing subtle flavouring notes to shine through.

Why not use Marmite instead of Twiglets?

Because I couldn't call it a Twiglet Brown Ale then.

No seriously....I feel there is something a little bit purer by mashing with twiglets rather than just dumping a couple of spoonfuls of marmite in the kettle. I prefer to introduce flavours by natural processes rather than just adding some "concentrate" or similar, to the finished brew.

Interestingly (?) ..... through.

I intend to go a bit drier. Partially by adding more flaked rice, but also by adding the enzyme. I will mash for 60 minutes @ 60C (upper limit for the enzymes optimal range) and 30 minutes @70C (optimal temperature to gelatinise the flaked rice). Hoping to end up at 1.002 to 1.004.

I will most likely up the bitterness to 30 IBU because of personal preferences and go for a 60/10 minute kettle addition.

Other than that we do not have completely different ideas. Nice to hear yours came out so well!

Latest posts

Back