How many of those are left on the road?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duxuk

Landlord.
Reaction score
If you've ever wondered the answer to the question in the title you need to visit How Many Left?. Unless it's a very old car or bike or a kit car you can find how many are left on the road and see the last 10 years of history. I was reminded of the website by the name of a forum member who's name implied he had a certain motorcycle. There are only 174 such bikes still in use from what was a very popular bike. I have an Italjet dragster 180 of which there are only 56 with a similar number of 125s and only 19 50s. There are plenty of old motors where only one is left still in use. Have fun exploring!
DSCF7023.JPG

A guy I know, works in the antique clock business and just bought this
Ey up!! I’ve only gone and done it again! The little Morris has grown a little! 😂 my justification is that I can now get a longcase clock in it.. 🤔. This incredibly rare right hand drive Studebaker Champion dates from 1956 and is believed to be the only original factory RHD car in Europe! This Model is very interesting design having been penned by Raymond Loewy who was also famous for designing the iconic “Coca Cola” bottle. This car obviously taking its curves from this concept. Having only 60k miles from new this car is an absolute time warp. 1956 was on the cusp of the rocket age and this was also detailed in the fins and dashboard. I just wanted to thank Adrian at @spinningwheel_classic_cars for sourcing such a gem. I cannot recommend Spinning-wheel cars highly enough and nothing was too much trouble.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1605163799392.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605163799392.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 49
  • FB_IMG_1605163829224.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605163829224.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 49
  • FB_IMG_1605163816592.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605163816592.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 45
  • FB_IMG_1605163788854.jpg
    FB_IMG_1605163788854.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 47
Talking of rare cars...
When I worked in the carbon fibre factory a workmates brother in law picked up a knackered old Porsche for about £3500 with the intention of "doing it up". He didn't get round to it and it sat in his garage for years. He then decided to have a look at it and tried to find bits using numbers off the car etc but couldn't find anything. He ended up contacting Porsche who said the car was a one off product. They were quite interested in it...
More recently a fella at the metal detecting club was called out on a plumbing job to one of his regular customers,an old couple living in a big house..lots of out building etc. Anyway he gets there and the lady says her husband had died and for him to have a look in the shed to see if there was anything he wanted...goes in there and there's vehicles covered with dust sheets...first uncovered...mint, mk1 Sierra Cosworth with a few k on the clock...then other nice cars and classic British motor bikes. He told the lady she needed to get an expert involved.

That's an interesting site that @Duxuk posted, although searches for bikes were more hit and miss.
I looked at older cars I have owned over 50plus of driving them and found numbers licensed
- Vauxhall Cavilier Antibes (0)
- Talbot Alpine (7!)
- Renault 12 (1)
- Sunbeam Imp Sports (46!!)
There are also 21 1966 Austin Mini Coopers still licensed 54 years on; I wonder how many subframes they have got through in their long life?
And the mainstay of standard company cars the Ford Cortina 1.6GL from the late 1990s records none at all.
But surpringly there are still Morris Marinas and Itals on the road. How's that Jeremy Clarkson?

My first car was a Talbot Solara owned by the business I worked for. There are 9 still left. I deeply pit their owners:laugh8:

?
And the mainstay of standard company cars the Ford Cortina 1.6GL from the late 1990s records none at all.
But surpringly there are still Morris Marinas and Itals on the road. How's that Jeremy Clarkson?
Terrym, you need to look at Ford Cortina 1600 GL, of which there are 17. This is way up from a low point of 8 a few years ago. I think they were selling 200,000(?) Cortinas per year at the peak! We are the only big classic car fancying country in Europe. There's a good chance the EU will ban older cars in the near future so it's lucky plenty of our MPs like a classic!

Wow - Hardly any of my first car about (1978 Austin Maxi 1750), which I got in 1989 for £50. Amazing car.

Also, very surprisingly, there aren't many of my first 'decent' company car about. When I got one of these, I really felt my career was on track. Gov tax rules meant it was mainly diesel Audi's after that, but I remember this with great fondness. Mine was silver.

Latest posts

Back