How many units per week. [POLL 2]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many units do you drink weekly?

• Below the recommend 14 per week.

• 14 - 24.

• 25 - 35.

• More than 35.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I think it's lucky the whole process takes 6 weeks plus imagine if we could make anything drinkable in a week.
Actually I think the opposite - it takes so long that inevitably you end up brewing well in advance and end up with hundreds of bottles in various stages of conditioning. What a temptation.

I'm doing dry January ATM so this week my entire consumption is 4 bottles of 0.5% dishwater - 1 unit. Not so much feeling smug as desperate for a proper pint...

Had 2 x 745ml bottles last night with a curry. So at 6.4% it seems I consumed 9.5 units.

Might have to reconsider my choice in the poll... 🙂

I think we might all be living in the wrong era or the wrong country. In Fiji its recommended not to drink more than 52 units a week and in the UK in 1979 the recommendation for men was no more than 56 units a week. Let’s face it, that’s more of a challenge than a ceiling isn’t it?

and in the UK in 1979 the recommendation for men was no more than 56 units a week. Let’s face it, that’s more of a challenge than a ceiling isn’t it?

That is 8 units a day or 3 pints of ABV 5.5% beer, having read the what are you drinking tonight thread for a few years i think there would be a few who would take that challenge on. :laugh8:

I blame home brewing, before i started brewing i was quite sensible, now i am retired and at 68 i drink far to much but what is the point of life if you are constantly saying no i can't have a beer i must watch the salt and sugar and butter full fat milk and god forbid if you eat to much saturated fat, my mantra is stay away from fast food lunch on the hoof is really bad, i was born in 53 our diet is considered really bad really i am still here alive and kicking, it is all the ***** ready meals fully loaded with everything that will kill you that is the problem, so i will carry on enjoying my life to the full and when my times comes i will shout yeah what a ride whether it's tomorrow or sometime in the next ten years, i will go to my grave knowing i did what i wanted and enjoyed it, Don't get me wrong i am not some raving alcoholic nut case i just love life, right time for a beer
IMG_0079.JPG

I blame home brewing, before i started brewing i was quite sensible, now i am retired and at 68 i drink far to much but what is the point of life if you are constantly saying no i can't have a beer i must watch the salt and sugar and butter full fat milk and god forbid if you eat to much saturated fat, my mantra is stay away from fast food lunch on the hoof is really bad, i was born in 53 our diet is considered really bad really i am still here alive and kicking, it is all the ***** ready meals fully loaded with everything that will kill you that is the problem, so i will carry on enjoying my life to the full and when my times comes i will shout yeah what a ride whether it's tomorrow or sometime in the next ten years, i will go to my grave knowing i did what i wanted and enjoyed it, Don't get me wrong i am not some raving alcoholic nut case i just love life, right time for a beer View attachment 61541

👏👏 I’ll raise a glass and drink to that mate 🍻

Simon Evans, one of my favourite comedians, provides a good contribution to this thread in the first four or so minutes of this routine. Recorded this time a year ago, about a year into the pandemic.

I'm doing dry January ATM so this week my entire consumption is 4 bottles of 0.5% dishwater - 1 unit. Not so much feeling smug as desperate for a proper pint...

We're doing this as well, except we started on the 5th cos that was back to work day.

Would quite like a glass of whiskey or wine at this point. (I mean in the evening, I know it's 8am and a BIT early lol)

My partners mum got us a velvetiser for christmas, which I've found is an adequate replacement for booze sometimes.

Of course wine in cooking doesn't count, and we make gravy out of wine. Alas I can't convince my partner to have gravy with all meals lol

i will go to my grave knowing i did what i wanted and enjoyed it, Don't get me wrong i am not some raving alcoholic nut case i just love life, right time for a beer

Spot on, you can stop eating food that is classed as bad for you, not drink alcohol, stop smoking and live to 100 but what a boring life that would be, I will not stop eating meat and drinking alcohol and as I haven't a clue at what age I will die I won't worry about how many years my bad habits may have shortened my life.

Last edited:
:beer1: I tend to drink at home Friday, Saturday, Sunday, evenings unless bottling / Kegging / Brewing in the daytime in which case anything can happen. If I go to watch Midweek Football I have a couple pre match then hip flask of home distilled whiskey to keep the chill out then a couple of stiff drinks when I get home celebrate / or drown my sorrows so I suppose my drinking is could well be above 14 units matchdays alone

Latest posts

Back