How many units per week. [POLL 2]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many units do you drink weekly?

• Below the recommend 14 per week.

• 14 - 24.

• 25 - 35.

• More than 35.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was genuinely stunned that one person felt the need to drink that much

I don't think he needed to it just crept up, back in the day a liquid lunch was the norm so say you had two pints at lunch and two at night I don't think you would have called yourself a heavy drinker, then add a couple on a Saturday afternoon watching the football and several on Saturday night on a night out even at 2 units a pint you are well into the 50 to 60 range and much more if the beer was stronger.

A few years ago our doctors had a phase of quizing you on your alcohol consumption every time you went there. Answering with an honest 40 odd units per week resulted in a lecture and dire predictions. After a bit I switched to 2 or 3 pints a day which is of course the same thing - result `well that's not a lot'.

Normal alcohol consumption for me is 1 or 2 pints (at 5 to 6% ABV) and 2 glasses of wine for 6 days of the week, plus a 30ml measure of a spirit (I'll drink almost anything) on 1 of the 6 days. . . . . . I've not counted the units but I know that it's too much. Fortunately I don't put on any weight, and I feel fine.
I've also had the disapproving looks and the lectures from my GP in the past, but I've not seen him for >2 years, so "out of sight, out of mind" acheers.

A few years ago our doctors had a phase of quizing you on your alcohol consumption every time you went there. Answering with an honest 40 odd units per week resulted in a lecture and dire predictions. After a bit I switched to 2 or 3 pints a day which is of course the same thing - result `well that's not a lot'.

Doctors traditionally take the patient’s estimate and double it. But inevitably it would still be less than the doctor himself drank.

I have actually been tracking mine as I go for last 3 months and I'm consistently around 130 units a week.

Easier than you think if you are in the pub at lunch time and on the way home from work and then throw in a couple of glasses of wine with your tea. .

As Adrian said in the OP if you are drinking at different times of the day it soon mounts up.

Presenter Adrian Chiles has urged people to track their alcohol intake after revealing he sometimes drank 80 or 100 units a week.

I just did a test online and it gave me an reading of 32.4 units per week but the options were vague but I know for sure it is certainly over 24 and I thought I don't drink much which is usually around four points or bottles a night when drinking but if this three nights when I'm off shift there is weeks where I'm exceeding the limit but they recommend a limit of 12 per week....

Mind your own business! clapa 😂

No seriously, there was a (bad) time I used to have 2 double vodkas a day. 28 units a week. Too much for my 5ft 3 frame I think, but at least I was skinny.

Now I'm on the sugary beer and wine, I'm a bit bigger, but I'm having less units. I'd say an average of a bottle of wine and 3 pints in total per week. 16 units. Not as bad as I thought! Glad I counted!

Hi Lisa. athumb..

I refrained from commenting on your other thread,For fear of putting my foot in it.
I hope you are feeling better.

Given from your posts the amount of beer and wine you make, The above shows remarkable restraint,:onechug:

I would say between 25-30 units. I recently weighed myself and had hit the 14st mark which is the point that I watch what I eat and start exercising again. So joined the gym again last week(been 5 years since kids were born). Try not to drink Mondays and Thursdays (after the Weekend and before the start of the weekend), and I'm trying to limit myself to 1-2 x 2/3rds in the week on Tuesday and Wednesday and 3-4 on Friday & Saturday.

Hi Lisa. athumb..

I refrained from commenting on your other thread,For fear of putting my foot in it.
I hope you are feeling better.

Given from your posts the amount of beer and wine you make, The above shows remarkable restraint,:onechug:

Thanks John. Feeing a little bit better yes, thank you for asking.

We give a fair portion away to the son and DIL, and I try not to over-drink. Just makes you feel ****. At the end of the day it's poison. My body won't let me drink huge amounts, it lets me know!

Says me nursing the second day of my hangover. :laugh8: (Went a bit mad on Saturday)

From today onwards I've decided to track it on my food diary, as it counts the units for me accurately, rather than me guessing. Not touching it until the weekend though anyway now.

Last edited:
I am currently having a few days off, which before homebrewing was a normal thing for me. I need to get back into this habit. My problem is not the beer but my love of it and I do love it far too much. I guess homebrewing for me is like being a kid given carte blanche in a sweet shop. So much new things to try and with loads of spare time on my hands. I am hoping when I begin to AG next week that I will be forced to slow down given the current kit I have. God help me if I had a fermzilla or sommat like that lawl. Note to self, knock it off a bit will yer ;)

I think it's lucky the whole process takes 6 weeks plus imagine if we could make anything drinkable in a week.

I have just discovered this calculation which will help as well:-

ABV x ML / 1000 = units of alcohol in your drink. For example a 5.6% beer would be:-

5.6 * 500 / 1000 = 2.8 units
Thanks. My first question was 'what is a unit?'...

Back