How many units per week. [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many units do you drink per week ?

• Below the recommend 14 per week.

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • 14 - 24.

Votes: 56 27.1%
  • 25 - 35.

Votes: 50 24.2%
  • More than 35.

Votes: 71 34.3%

• Total voters
Correction here: I should be at 35 units and up, not 25-35. Miscalculated a bit. Oh well.

I read all of the answers as needing to be multiplied by 1.5!

It's like when you go to the doctors and they ask how many units of alcohol you drink in a week. You add it up in your head, think it sounds a bit high, worry that if you give the right answer you'll get a lecture especially as you know that nobody gives an honest answer, panic as you realise you're taking too long and then doctor is waiting, and then blurt out 6.

Correction here: I should be at 35 units and up, not 25-35. Miscalculated a bit. Oh well

I voted 25-35 but depending on time of year and holidays etc i can honestly say i am in the more than 35 category several times a year.

I read all of the answers as needing to be multiplied by 1.5!

It's like when you go to the doctors and they ask how many units of alcohol you drink in a week. You add it up in your head, think it sounds a bit high, worry that if you give the right answer you'll get a lecture especially as you know that nobody gives an honest answer, panic as you realise you're taking too long and then doctor is waiting, and then blurt out 6.

Like when the doc asked how many cigs I smoke. When I said 15 he said that's not too bad. I didn't tell him that those were before breakfast.

Like when the doc asked how many cigs I smoke. When I said 15 he said that's not too bad. I didn't tell him that those were before breakfast.
That's why you better can have a female GP than a male GP. The female GP doesn't empathise with you! and will be merciless. As GP's should be.

I was at a whisky tasting last night and the had an extra serving again so 6 drams of cask strength whisky (well 5 whiskies and one Armagnac). I was curious as to the total alcohol so worked it out and it came to 8.5 units if you drank the lot. So only "allowed" 2 pints this week if I wanted to stay below the guidelines.

I need a twin brother who can drink half of my intake and put me back in the safe zone...we can then do that twin thing where they share each other's joy.
Or I could just accept that one day I am going to die a screaming horrible death, with a smile on my face

I see from the BBC this morning that the latest report is ...

"Chronic exposure to air pollution could be linked to cognitive performance."

THIS
is a scientific report that I can believe, 'cos I've always thought that people who live in cities are insane! :laugh8:

I once watched a "Songs of Praise" broadcast from Fort William in Scotland. They interviewed a man from the other side of Loch Linnhe and the local explained that where he lived was a much calmer place than "... the hurly-burly of Fort William."

In winter, Fort William looks like a ghost town, so country dwellers needn't worry about drinking the odd pint! athumb..

Just watched a documentary on Andre the Giant, apparently while filming The Princess Bride he drank 20 bottles of Beaujolais a day. About 1200 units per week!!

I just read a little bit about his drinking habits. That is drinking on an epic scale!! And to top it all off, that's not what killed him.

To be honest I've never felt the need to sit down and add it all up. If I did I suspect I'd be a bit shocked. I'm tempted to download that Drinkaware app and track it for a few months, problem with homebrew though is that although I do check the OG and FG of my brews I never actually record the ABV anywhere so I've no idea if what I'm drinking is 3 units a bottle or less or more. Maybe I should start doing that!

The last few weeks have been bad, as it's the school holidays by the time we sit down for dinner in the evening the missus is always fancying a glass of wine having dealt with the kids all day (she's a bad influence ;)), I struggle to say no and invariably one wine leads to another and then maybe a beer while watching telly. Add to that 2 x 1 week caravan holidays where we drank a reasonable amount every night. Really need to cut down in September!

My salvation maybe my fairly recent enthusiasm for running, took it up just over two years ago, and I want to attempt a half marathon soon. If I want to train seriously for that then I suspect too much drinking will get in the way so it will have to ease for at least 3 months. I now also do Parkruns on Saturday morning so that curtails the Friday night sessions.

These researchers ought to shove their 'findings' up their back end, learn how to relax with loads of beer and cigs, and stop worrying themselves and everyone else. Meanwhile no beer for me this week cos I'm on nights and really can't tolerate it for some reason. Bah.

My salvation maybe my fairly recent enthusiasm for running, took it up just over two years ago, and I want to attempt a half marathon soon. If I want to train seriously for that then I suspect too much drinking will get in the way so it will have to ease for at least 3 months. I now also do Parkruns on Saturday morning so that curtails the Friday night sessions.

Nice one Graz, unfortunately for me I found I can still run my 5k's fine (after a few beers the night before!) if I get up early (7ish) and have a couple of black coffee's before hitting the pavements at about 9.30 at the weekends. Wouldn't do it for a Parkrun though as I push myself too hard trying to get a decent time. Maybe I need to do more Parkruns athumb..

I want to attempt a half marathon soon. If I want to train seriously for that then I suspect too much drinking will get in the way so it will have to ease for at least 3 months.
It makes a huge difference. I was part of an experiment on drink and performance where I went to 80 to 100 units a week up from 28 units a week for a month while also upping my weekly mileage. I averaged 56 miles a week of mixed running of sprints, hills, 5ks, 10ks, 10 milers and the graphs showed a decline in average pace that really kicked in later in the month.

Processing booze makes all that lovely glycogen in your liver less accessible during a run, and recovery and building really gets nuked. So if you want to be a good runner and also booze then I recommend binge drinking on the weekend rather than a daily spread - no doctor's going to advise that... officially. And never take ibuprofen because it cuts the signals for hypertrophy.

There are actually homebrew + running podcasts out there.

And never take ibuprofen because it cuts the signals for hypertrophy.
Well three things, first the research into this is quite limited and the results aren't all that clear, second it was based on a high chronic dosage of NSAID, not occasional use, and third running isn't going to promote much hypertrophy anyway.

I am in the 25-34 bracket, which is 100% beer.

I have relatively low blood pressure, which means I am always thirsty. I gave up drinking wine, as I can knock back a glass or two like it is pop.

I stopped drinking altogether for a couple of years, then for some reason had a pint, then another and it has crept up to one or two bottles of 4-5% beer a night.

I find it easiest to cut back if the fridge is packed with non alcoholic drinks.

I blame Booths supermarkets, which regularly run £1 a bottle deals on Jennings. I can never resist a bargain!

Latest posts

Back