How many units per week. [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many units do you drink per week ?

• Below the recommend 14 per week.

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • 14 - 24.

Votes: 56 27.1%
  • 25 - 35.

Votes: 50 24.2%
  • More than 35.

Votes: 71 34.3%

• Total voters
About five, at two units each.
Along with the odd nightcap, and maybe a "special" coffee or two on a Sunday, maybe a glass of wine here and there.
It soon mounts up!!!
Oddly though, I normally only drink until I've been fed. S'pose I should change feeding time!

I'm actually not doing as bad as I thought, I just used an online calculator and I'm averaging at about 37 units per week, although considering I only drink on Fridays that's probably pretty bad :laugh8:

Living on the Canal du Midi in France for eight years I became fascinated by the local Obituary Notices in the local papers.

It was amazing!

As a general rule, any man who died before reaching 75 years of age died in either a vehicle accident or a work accident. On one occasion the the local paper in Beziers listed just eight male deaths, but they were all over 90 years of age.

It would appear that drinking copious amounts of beer and wine (in moderation of course) is the key to longevity! athumb.. athumb.. athumb.. athumb..

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but can I ask where the recommended 14 units came from? I had a can of beer last night that stated for men not to regularly exceed 3-4 units daily so, if we say 4, that‘s 28 per week!

81653825-6417-457A-9E83-8752FDBA2785.jpeg

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but can I ask where the recommended 14 units came from? I had a can of beer last night that stated for men not to regularly exceed 3-4 units daily so, if we say 4, that‘s 28 per week!

View attachment 34710
I have no proof of this but I do remember reading somewhere that it was based on the fact that those who drank 14 units or less a week were at a lower risk of becoming alcohol dependant or other issues such as violence related to alcohol .
We have to remember we have a massive binge drinking culture in this country, raise the limit to 21 or 28 and you can guarantee there will be a number of people who try and do that in 1 night, then you will get millions more drinking more frequently and ultimately an increase in those who develop a drinking problem.

For us its 14 units and in other parts of Europe it can range from 21-28, all with similar life expectancy. That's not to say you should drink 28 units a week, every week but I suspect there are millions across Europe who do with a balanced lifestyle and will go on to live a long and healthy life.

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up on these numbers. I'm 71 and still extremely fit, walk my dog four times a day, do 20 push ups before bed and occasionally some hand stand push ups, yes I'm being serious. But on a daily basis I drink 3 pints of beer and a bottle of wine and enjoy every mouthful. I don't feel the least bit guilty about it and shall continue to do so probably until my clock stops ticking.

It was 21 for men and 14 for women, not only are men are a little bigger than women (think blood alcohol level) but at a physiological level women don't metabolise alcohol as well as men bbc-link

But all the science aside - we need to consider gender equality and we can't possibly have a situation where men are allowed to enjoy themselves more than women so IMO they simply just lowered the male limit to that of females.

It was 21 for men and 14 for women, not only are men are a little bigger than women (think blood alcohol level) but at a physiological level women don't metabolise alcohol as well as men bbc-link

But all the science aside - we need to consider gender equality and we can't possibly have a situation where men are allowed to enjoy themselves more than women so IMO they simply just lowered the male limit to that of females.
It’s odd you say that. Perhaps it’s a general thing but not necessarily always the case. This is a true story, my cousin is a Police officer and got himself a breathalyser some time ago. He is 6 foot 7, now this seems like a joke but honestly isn’t, his wife is tiny and a little over 5 foot. After a glass of wine each one evening they did a breath test and he was on the drink drive limit whilst she was just under!

I'm not sure why people are getting hung up on these numbers. I'm 71 and still extremely fit, walk my dog four times a day, do 20 push ups before bed and occasionally some hand stand push ups, yes I'm being serious. But on a daily basis I drink 3 pints of beer and a bottle of wine and enjoy every mouthful. I don't feel the least bit guilty about it and shall continue to do so probably until my clock stops ticking.
Your poor dog must be exhausted!

For folk that are interested in this kind of stuff and want a good objective read I would recommend David Nutts book "Drink: the new science of alcohol and your health"

BEWARE!

Back in the 90's there was a massive turndown of jobs in the oil industry and a lot of the "2 weeks on - 2 weeks off" lads were made redundant and finished up unemployed.

A lot of these lads discovered that, without the 2 weeks drying out period offshore, they became alcoholics before their money ran out!

In the current climate there will be many thousands of people out of work so please BEWARE!

Latest posts

Back