How many units per week. [POLL]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How many units do you drink per week ?

• Below the recommend 14 per week.

Votes: 30 14.5%
  • 14 - 24.

Votes: 56 27.1%
  • 25 - 35.

Votes: 50 24.2%
  • More than 35.

Votes: 71 34.3%

• Total voters
I just totted up the number on my untapped account and came in at 34 units last week (was on annual leave last Friday So combined with the bank holiday Monday drank every day from Thursday to Monday.

Previous week was 25, which is probably a more typical week, still more than I thought I had so will try to keep an eye in it as quite certain the number of units have being creeping up this year.

yeah same here, think I will target 30 per week for now, that's good for 2 beers a night. after that maybe reduce a night or two a week to no beer?

yeah same here, think I will target 30 per week, for now, that's good for 2 beers a night. after that maybe reduce a night or two a week to no beer?
What volume are your 'beers'? And what ABV typically? I'm on ten units most days so I really ought to cut down.

........ I have found lockdown etc has made me drink more out of boredom. ......

:laugh8::laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:
Other reasons that can make a man drink more are:
  • Family (especially Wife, Children, Mother-in-Law etc).
  • Weather (hot = more beer : cold = more spirits).
  • Work (both not enough and too much).
  • Etc. etc.
One constant in life is that almost anything can make one drink more alcohol ... clapaclapaclapa

... I'm glad to say! :laugh8::laugh8: :laugh8:

At the start of the lockdown coupled with the good weather it was a pint or two a day. Now its a couple of pints a week at the pub and probably 4 pints at home but I often have three days rest. However if away using the motorhome and going for a bike ride the consumption increases considerably.

I will tell you what, there’s a lot of people hardly drinking anything for a home brew forum
I’m not ashamed to admit to drinking probably 5 nights out of 7, I’m fairly fit and cycle 10 miles to and 10 miles back from work as often as I can, walking the dog, diy and cycling with my son at weekends probably trick me into thinking I’m not doing anything wrong but stuff it, I would rather enjoy my time here than deny myself the fruits of my labours!!!!
A bloody stamp collector won’t only look at his stamps on a Friday!!!!
I’m away to the fridge

Not a single drop has passed my lips in the whole of September. Probably the longest i have abstained in my entire drinking life however I decided to do the "Fast 800" diet for a month. More to prove to the wife that I could rather than for any other reason however today is the last day. No alcohol, bread, pasta, potatos, sugar, milk etc for a whole month.
Gaspin' for a beer though!

I had a pre-op assessment yesterday and was told off for drinking too much and I definitely low-balled it when I said 17 units a week 🤷‍♂️

I had a pre-op assessment yesterday and was told off for drinking too much and I definitely low-balled it when I said 17 units a week 🤷‍♂️
I could easily keep to 17 units if the week ended on a Tuesday!

Edit - BTW @strange-steve hope all goes ok with the Op

Last edited:
Not a single drop has passed my lips in the whole of September. Probably the longest i have abstained in my entire drinking life however I decided to do the "Fast 800" diet for a month. More to prove to the wife that I could rather than for any other reason however today is the last day. No alcohol, bread, pasta, potatos, sugar, milk etc for a whole month.
Gaspin' for a beer though!
Please don’t take this the wrong way but I would probably kill myself before I managed that!
Tell the wife to give up moaning for a month as a fair comparison!
Enjoy everything you have deprived yourself of sir, you are a better man than me

After many "pre-op" assessments (both knees, one hip and a fractured femur) I have learned to say "What did I say last time?" and then "That sounds about right; but maybe a bit less now!" The pre-op nurse and I then come to an agreement that satisfies both of us!

But, a word of warning! At my last assessment I was asked what my "End of Life Plan." was. My reply was "Always resuscitate please. However, if I'm going to be living as a vegetable then don't bother!"

I keep it around the 20 units a week - which used to be the safe limit for men until they decided under some gender equality nonsense, that men could not be allowed to enjoy themselves more than women and so reduced the male limit from 20 to 14 which was and still is the safe limit for women.

A lot of my customers who are retired, drink way more than 14 units ,some start having a tipple early afternoon ,these are the people who are healthiest,and look years younger and are happy :)

A lot of my customers who are retired, drink way more than 14 units ,some start having a tipple early afternoon ,these are the people who are healthiest,and look years younger and are happy :)
Are you selling health care or booze? 😁

Latest posts

Back