how much alcohol percent does 1kg dextrose add?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WelshD

Reaction score
I have an IPA kit that is 5.6% when adding 1kg sugar, if I only added 500g what percent would it be?

Thanks

i have the mangrove jacks red ipa and it is meant to turn out at 5.3% so if i put only 500g of sugar instead of 1kg will it be 4.3? will it be too thin?

i have the mangrove jacks red ipa and it is meant to turn out at 5.3% so if i put only 500g of sugar instead of 1kg will it be 4.3? will it be too thin?
From what terrym says above yes it will be 1% lower.
It won't be thin. If anything adding more dextrose or sugar will make it thin.
I usually only use LDME, not sugar or dextrose when making lighter beers like Lager to avoid thinning them out.
English bitter I might put some sugar in.
If you only want it at 4.3 I'm sure it'll be fine.

I wondered about this also, isn’t corn sugar/dextrose recommended if trying to make a light Bud type lager?
Well, Coopers used to have a bit on their website saying to use Light Dry Malt in the European Lager.
I haven't been able to find it since the website updated. Maybe I should email them.
I think the reason was because adding dextrose to a Lager would thin it out.
Personally unless I'm following a recipe I only use LDME.
If you have a look at the Lager recipes on Coopers website they seem to all have LDME or one of their mixes.
Not dextrose.
Cooper's Lager Recipes

Back