How much beer is ok to put in a Corny Keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have 40 pints of IPA ready and would like to keg half and bottle half (ie 20 pints each).
However I was wondering if only putting 20 pints into a corny keg would be detrimental to the beer with so much head space etc or will it be perfectly fine?.

is it still ok to force carb then? My usual method is purging then setting psi to about 40 and rocking on my knee for about 6 minutes

I would probably look at 20psi but saying that I don't use the rolling method. I tend to pressurise to 30psi and switch the gas off and then re-pressurise now and then until the head space levels out at about 15psi. Time wise this varies depending on temperature and the amount of head space in the keg.

As a matter of interest on average how long does that method take till you are supping your ale?

As a matter of interest on average how long does that method take till you are supping your ale?
Usually about 3 days if I am in a hurry. Again it is dependent on how often you turn on the gas. I often leave it a bit longer to settle. I have never used the rolling technique as I don't want to get beer in the gas-in tube, one bit less to clean out.

I dont know the exact size but I presume approx 32 pints as when I make a 40 pint batch I always manage to bottle 8.
My Co2 is running low so I want to bottle 20 this time just incase.
Also can anyone inform.me if the price of CO2 has greatly increased or not as I remember a few months ago there was an apparent shortage.....

tyvm for your input today Crafty.....20 bottles IPA (Citra & Simcoe) bottled
20 pints Kegged at 20psi as recommended...cheersacheers.

Back