How much beer is too much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a gentleman that goes in my local,hes been drinking Burton ales every night for 60 years and hes in his 80s now, and never at the doctors.

There are people who survive being hit by a train. That doesn't mean that in general it's a good idea to jump in front of trains for shits and giggles.

For what it's worth, SWMBO tells anyone who will listen "He promised me that he would be dead by the time he was sixty; and look at him!"

With my job and lifestyle I honestly thought that sixty would be my limit and I never expected to see the "Three score years and ten." as promised in The Bible. I tried my best with the fags, booze, overeating and sitting on my backside; but now I'm starting to feel guilty for littering up the place!

In another four days I officially become a "Toy Boy" ...:thumb:... and then three weeks afterwards I catch up with SWMBO and become an ordinary boring old fart!:headbang:Maybe it's looking forward to those three weeks that have kept me going all these years!:gulp:

There are people who survive being hit by a train. That doesn't mean that in general it's a good idea to jump in front of trains for shits and giggles.

During one night of massive excess, I rode a motorbike directly towards a ravine, at the bottom of which was a railway line. I swerved at the last possible moment to avoid some geezer with a dog who appeared out of nowhere! Would I have survived? Who knows? Who cares? When your number is up, it's up.

Im not saying its a good idea,drink in moderation i said,but some comments state if you drink you die early,and you get ill health.My grandmother smoked from age 14 (capstain full strength) never drank and lived a long very healthy life until age 89.

Advice given is to the general populous. They don't know if you have an anti-cholesterol gene...

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-17/news/mn-51362_1_artery-disease

or some other beneficial OR detrimental makeup to your genome or if your father has already had 3 heart attacks.

Personally I'm happy to save up for the big one my 70 yr plus auntie had. Big and quick. I'll do whatever I can to finish off down that path rather than having my **** wiped for me. My mother died from motor-neurone disease. at 50. That was grim. So we each decide where we want to be and what we'd like based on our own experiences.

some say be healthy - live long (hopefully with your faculties intact) other live fast die young...

whatever you decide.. 'how much beer is too much' is normally only a part of the whole equation. :cheers3:

Advice given is to the general populous. They don't know if you have an anti-cholesterol gene...

http://articles.latimes.com/1994-10-17/news/mn-51362_1_artery-disease

or some other beneficial OR detrimental makeup to your genome or if your father has already had 3 heart attacks.

Personally I'm happy to save up for the big one my 70 yr plus auntie had. Big and quick. I'll do whatever I can to finish off down that path rather than having my **** wiped for me. My mother died from motor-neurone disease. at 50. That was grim. So we each decide where we want to be and what we'd like based on our own experiences.

some say be healthy - live long (hopefully with your faculties intact) other live fast die young...

whatever you decide.. 'how much beer is too much' is normally only a part of the whole equation. :cheers3:
You never know what’s around the corner,found that out over the last few years.

Confusion has just been added to the 5/10 a day recommendation. On breakfast TV the other day the foxy looking presenter said that the advice is now to eat the fruit in one go. Don't eat it bit by bit or your teeth will fall out. Think I'd better wash it down with a beer or 3 just to make sure I've got all that acid under control.

My uncle has bought a lottery ticket every week since it started and he still hasn't won the jackpot.

When the Lottery first cam out, I worked out the "expected time" it would take to win it buying 2 lines a week and it was ~250,000 years. Oddly, few of us will live that long.

The odds are different with 56 numbers to with 49 - it is far less likely to win the jackpot. One chance in whatever 56*55*54*53*52*51/6*5*4*3*2*1 is each time you spend £2 on a line. I don't buy a ticket often now.

When I worked at Littlewoods, the guys who worked for the "Pools" reckoned that games like these have a predictable life-span with interest in the game peaking within a few years, then slowly declining.

Going back to the original question, I read recently that in France the recommendation is to drink no more than a bottle of wine per day, in Spain it is higher. Like the units of fruits and veg per day (which also varies wildly from country to country), it is based on how much they think they can convince us to accept.

It's interesting as different foods and drink affect people differently, so each person needs to find out what their body can handle on a weekly basis.

A few years ago, granted I was ~26/27 and much younger, I went for a checkup at the doctor. Took my blood pressure, blood sample, ran other random tests, at the end of it said "Whatever you're doing, keep doing it because you're in fantastic shape." This was when I was drinking a fair amount and eating rich unhealthy food regularly. I did walk over 2 hours per day though.

I went to work and told this to the woman I sat next to who was livid. She went to the gym every day, did yoga and ate really healthy only to get the same results as me. My point being I take these guidelines with a pinch of salt, and there is politics behind them, and they are averaged for the nation.

Going back to the original question, I read recently that in France the recommendation is to drink no more than a bottle of wine per day, in Spain it is higher. Like the units of fruits and veg per day (which also varies wildly from country to country), it is based on how much they think they can convince us to accept.

Yes because the real answer is awful for most people because it is so little.
There has been a lot of research in this subject.
And the amounts of alcohol an average person can consume without health problems is simply far lower than any accepted daily alcohol intake in Europe.

Sorry, I wish it was otherwise. I really wish my own life style was healthy and that it didn't matter. But drinking 4 beers every day simply isn't healthy. I absolutely love it. Love the taste, the way you get slightly buzzed. But of course its most likely not good for your health.

Last edited:
One of the reasons behind the guidelines is to try to reduce the chances of developing diseases that the NHS and therefore the government have to pay to treat. Statistically if you drink less you are less likely to develop the diseases associated with it so less people need to be treated for it. Same with 5 a day and exercise more.

The spirit of what they are trying to do is they are, trying to get people to eat healthy foods, drink less, smoke less to save money on hospitals and treatments. The burden for the government then moves on to having to fund dribbling incoherent messes sat in care homes with fit bodies but shot minds.

Smoking and vaping is another thing. On paper it is a no brainer that vaping is better for you than smoking and those that do it say they feel better for not smoking. The government won't 100% endorse it though in case in 20 years time there is an effect on health that people will sue them for.

Last edited:
We need a machine where you feed in the units of alcohol, calories of food, microgrammes of nicotine, amount of stress from the missus, grief from the boss, particulates of diesel inhaled etc etc multiplied or divided by your hereditary risk factor from genetic mutations and whether you ride a motorbike, and the billions of other real or imagined risks to survival. Then the machine can give us the precise date of our demise, and if we wish to extend it we could avoid the risks we wanted. But please not beer and food and bacca. Can't do without those but there's millions that I can.

Look how the government's advice on telling us to buy diesel vehicles turned out: better for us and the environment blah, blah :unsure:
Turns out that that was a load of bo**ocks, so why on earth would we listen to a word of advice from them?

I'm away to buy a case of beer :beer6:

Look how the government's advice on telling us to buy diesel vehicles turned out: better for us and the environment blah, blah :unsure:
Turns out that that was a load of bo**ocks, so why on earth would we listen to a word of advice from them?

I'm away to buy a case of beer :beer6:
Whenever the gubbinment offer advice, it is not in our best interest - do the polar opposite and reap the benefits.

No you shouldn't take advice from any instance to get the best information.
If you want to know the most correct information you should read as many articles as possible from peer reviewed journals.

I gave up smoking for a few months, a couple of years ago.
Started feeling unwell a month or so in, so went to see my GP.
Turns out, I now have a lifelong illness, controlled by 19 tablets a day.
When I asked if it could have been avoided, he replied that it was giving up smoking that caused it!

Can't bloody win either way...

Back