How much did you pay for your first pint?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cwrw666

Landlord.
Reaction score
The first pint I ever bought was in the pub by the railway station in, I think, Billingham on Tees-side. Bit vague as to whether that's right or not - we used to catch a train from Thornaby and it was the next stop or two down the line - where we were assured they'd serve us.
I was 14. It was 1969. And it cost 1 shilling and 7 pence.:lol:

By the way, I asked for a pint and the landlord leaned over the bar and said `you can have this one, then f*** off'.

The Hastings Arms in Seaton Delaval, about 1990ish I'd guess, pint of Newcastle Exhibition, £1.14

Highfield Working Mens Club, Darwen, Lancs - 1990-ish. Miller Geniune Draft (I think! It was definitely Miller anyway) £1.08

Crikey, memory don't go into that detail that far back. But I do remember a pint of rough cider in The Rising Sun, Botus Fleming near Saltash in the days when no-one paid excise duty on cider (pre-1976).

2/-. But it was a mistake trying to buy a pint 'cos you were given a half and charged for the pint ("I'm not having anymore of you like them in the other room" explained the barman).

Earlier still the landlady there would perform a "community service" by buying any warts off you.

I can't remember the cost of a pint in 1960 ... :cheers:

... but I do know that I could go out with a quid in my pocket and have to crawl home after spending it. :thumb: :thumb:

Maybe that was more due to a lack of beer tolerance than the cheapness of the beer though! :whistle: :whistle:

BTW "Coming home by rail." in those days didn't mean a train journey ... :nono: :nono:

... it meant staggering/crawling along the pavement fiercely gripping each upright railing en route! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Happy Days! :thumb: :thumb:

10P the mild 11P the bitter,circa 1969/70 used to pop up the outdoor in mid 60s to fetch the old mans beer in the screw in top bulmers cider bottles and the offy licence bloke used to put a sticker over the cork and bottle neck so if the local bobby stopped you he would let you go on your way if the seal wasn't broken.I think at the time it was around one and threepence to one and sixpence a pint

Can't remember how much my first pint was as my Dad bought it me :). That was over Teeside also in Fairfield, Stockton-on-Tees in the Rimswell pub which was my local. Camerons beer which was a dark bitter and was always served with a massive head. That would have been around 1969. Made a change from sitting outside with bag of crisps and a lemonade while they had a drink inside.

Around £2 for a pint of Tennants Lager (Eurgh) back in 2001. Funnily enough, 15 years later I can get a pint of Deuchars for £1.67 in my local Wetherspoons.

I recall the first pint I bought with my own money 48p kroneberg 1666. But bitters were less 34p, ciders I remeber buying halfs for 10-11p.

11 old pence I seem to remember for a half of mild when we used to sneak out of school at lunch time in 6th form. We were eventually caught by the deputy head, who'd been tipped off, and threatened with expulsion if it happened again. Obviously we lay low for a while then changed to various more obscure pubs.

At uni I could be "shouting down the great white telephone" for �£1 (mind you I never could hold my drink).

The big landmark was when 2 pints for me and my mate cost more than �£1. Must have been around 1980.

I haven't a clue about the price but it was 1975 my grandfather bought me a pint and this was it, you couldn't get away with that now. (the label not your grandfather buying you a drink) :lol:

$_35.JPG

in 1975 Friday night was Skool disco night and at the age of 15 we could get 5 pints of cider for £1 in a local pub before 7 pm and got thrown out before it ended at 9.

9p in the George, Aylesford, Kent in 1965 (I was 15).

Wouldn't that be 9d Pete? (that'll get the young uns wondering) :lol:

coins.jpg

There were twenty (20) shillings per pound.

The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

trumans dark mild 1976, wheatsheaf, Newington near Sittingbourne. I think it was 16p, does that sound right? I was 13.
They had a reputation for serving anyone.

Wouldn't that be 9d Pete? (that'll get the young uns wondering) :lol:

coins.jpg

There were twenty (20) shillings per pound.

The shilling was subdivided into twelve (12) pennies.

The penny was further sub-divided into two halfpennies or four farthings (quarter pennies).

2 farthings = 1 halfpenny
2 halfpence = 1 penny (1d)
3 pence = 1 thruppence (3d)
6 pence = 1 sixpence (a 'tanner') (6d)
12 pence = 1 shilling (a bob) (1s)
2 shillings = 1 florin ( a 'two bob bit') (2s)
2 shillings and 6 pence = 1 half crown (2s 6d)
5 shillings = 1 Crown (5s)

I have to say although the metric £ is much more sensible, the standard of mathematics plummeted after it's introduction. The bane of my life in primary school was long division of pounds shillings and pence !!!

I can remember spending "old money" at the shop near our school but i was only a nipper so doubt i had my head around the list of coins and their value in the post above.

Does anyone remember the saying (i think it was on TV) "use your old copper in six-penny lots"

Pints were bout 1.80 when I first started drinking but they place we could get served at (it was a gothy place but when you're 16 and can get served you go whereever!) on saturday nights it was £1 a pint or £1.25 for pints of diesel

My first pint in the corner house in Heaton (still at school) in 1971 was McEwans Tartan Bitter in a chunky glass and I seem to remember it was 11p in that new decimal money, did that ever catch on?

I remember McEwans but was not a bitter man, i am now but that's because of my my age nothing to do with drink. :wink:

Latest posts

Back