How much flavour/aroma hops is OK?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_kc

Reaction score
I've recently made a couple of IPAs and PAs and had an upfront paracetamol like upfront taste to the beer. I'm wondering if I'm hopping too heavy for my 20min and 0mim additions (only other addition at 60min). Been going with 6g at both 20min and 0min, about 1oz equivalent for a 20l batch.

Used different hops, pink boots versus Sybilla and Simcoe and had a similar result. Bottle after 2weeks and condition for another two before drinking.
I don't change my water chemistry, just use lactic acid in the mash for pH.

Or has anyone experienced this with Oxford water or US-05 with poor temp control. Guessing this might have gone up to +20°C in the recent month (I ferment under the kitchen sink).

I wonder how much flavour persists after 20 minutes boiling. I'd recalculate the IBUs given by the bittering hops, split the 20 minute charge in two and add half at -10 mins and half at -5 mins and follow up with the 0 minutes charge as above. 28g is a bit much in 20 litres. I think I'd go 10g at -10 and again at -5.

The upfront paracetamol is to stop you getting a headache. :D

For my centennial IPA, I add .5oz at 20min, 1oz at 15min, 1oz at 10min, and 1oz at flameout. That beer has always turned out great. I do something similar with my cascade pale ale. I also use US-05 for both and ferment between 18 to 20C.

I wonder how much flavour persists after 20 minutes boiling. I'd recalculate the IBUs given by the bittering hops, split the 20 minute charge in two and add half at -10 mins and half at -5 mins and follow up with the 0 minutes charge as above. 28g is a bit much in 20 litres. I think I'd go 10g at -10 and again at -5.

The upfront paracetamol is to stop you getting a headache. :D
I'm not getting a whole lot of flavour. Thanks will move my additions down and reduce and see where this gets me.

Do you think it is just over bittering.
Put the hop AA's and addition times, amounts and the volume of wort so we can see if it could be that

Do you think it is just over bittering.
Put the hop AA's and addition times, amounts and the volume of wort so we can see if it could be that
It could well be that I think MyQul had something like it was almost soapy for him but I think time helped for him and it diminished to something he could tolerate a he had a lower threshold for hop forwards

As for the medicinal flavour some refer to band aid or germaline, I think my very first HB had some of it in a few bottles and I think it was in my case a lack of rinsing off vwp.. I think paracetamol I just guessed it would be in that line..

It could well be that I think MyQul had something like it was almost soapy for him but I think time helped for him and it diminished to something he could tolerate a he had a lower threshold for hop forwards

As for the medicinal flavour some refer to band aid or germaline, I think my very first HB had some of it in a few bottles and I think it was in my case a lack of rinsing off vwp.. I think paracetamol I just guessed it would be in that line..
Also I think something that might be coming into play. I'm using VWP and possibly getting a chlorine tang from, I put it down to fermenting s-04 on the warm side but I'm thinking I've been a not slap-dash with rinsing. Something else to look out for - cheers.

Latest posts

Back