How much fruit to litre ratio?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcscruff

Reaction score
Im looking to make a blackberry stout, probably just a 5l batch to test.
I have the receipe for the stout (going with an irish stout from brewfather) and think i want to add my pulped fruit at 2nd fermentation, maybe on day 7. But i have jo idea the fruit to beer ratio

For a fruited pale ale (where you can still taste the beer) using raspberries I add 1 litre of purée in a 20 litre batch.

For a raspberry sour beer I used 2 litres of purée in a 20 litre batch but this beer is far more fruity to the point you can’t really taste much other than fruit.

I’ve not used blackberries and I’ve not fruited a stout but at least you now have an idea where the ballpark is!

Last edited:
I used 3kg of frozen mashed blueberries in 23 litres of American wheat beer.
But fruits are all different, some impart much more flavour/colour/sugars than others...

(the brew came out a gorgeous pink colour but quite muted flavour wise, which I think is typical with blueberries)

Last edited:
Thank you for your replies, definitely gives me an idea. I think i might do 20l and split them with slightly different amounts

I used 1kg of frozen raspberries in 5l of beer. It was a lot. You couldn't taste much beer through the raspberries. My friend loved it though and says it was possibly the best raspberry beer he's had (and he's had a lot). I might just try fermenting raspberries for him in future 😁

I added about 1.6kg of blackberries to a 23L Woodfordes Nog kit. Quantity based on the amount I'd picked, and checking a few other threads on here to confirm I was in the right ballpark. I froze them, defrosted and mashed them up before adding them to secondary fermentation. I should have put the berries in a bag or something as when I came to kegging, the pulp blocked the syphon, then the keg disconnect, and I had an awful time unblocking everything during which time sanitation went somewhat out of the window.
Didn't get much blackberry flavour coming through but I do suspect my attempts at unblocking things may have spoilt it somewhat!
Will probably have another go this year! Possibly doing a smaller batch and upping the berry ratio to see how that works.

Blackberries add a nice copper colour to a pale beer, but you will get very little flavour from them in a stout, I would guess, in any quantity you might reasonably have the patience to collect.

Didn't get much blackberry flavour coming through

Hi, the trick is in the method. The flavour you know and love from blackberries comes from the seeds AFTER you boil them.

I did years ago a lovely blackberry cider from the seeds/ gunk I had left over in the sieve while making jam. (Re-boiled in apple juice and drained afterwards). Was the best I ever made. Tied the year after with the juice too, was not as good as the year befoer. now i make wine from the juice and cider from the feft over pulp.

technically you would use the juice for wine, the heavier pulp for jam and the rebiold gunk for cider, but you need about 50l of berries for that.

Hi, the trick is in the method. The flavour you know and love from blackberries comes from the seeds AFTER you boil them.

I did years ago a lovely blackberry cider from the seeds/ gunk I had left over in the sieve while making jam. (Re-boiled in apple juice and drained afterwards). Was the best I ever made. Tied the year after with the juice too, was not as good as the year befoer. now i make wine from the juice and cider from the feft over pulp.

technically you would use the juice for wine, the heavier pulp for jam and the rebiold gunk for cider, but you need about 50l of berries for that.

interesting, thanks!

Can I ask for a bit more detail on this, please? I just went out foraging and came home with about 7kg of blackberries, which I had planned to used in a cider. The intention was to try a turbo cider using cartons of apple juice, so I was looking into what sorts of recipes might be around. From your post, it sounds like maybe I want to separate the juice from the pulp and put the juice to a wine. Would you chuck the blackberries onto the hob and heat to ~80°C, then squeeze them through a sieve? What kind of ratio were you using for apple juice : blackberry pulp? Did you then just boil the pulp in the apple juice to transfer flavour and remove the pulp before putting the apple juice into a FV? If so, how long did you boil it for?

I'd really appreciate your thoughts, thanks!

Latest posts

Back