How much to dry hop instead of at end of boiling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dulwich North

Reaction score
I'm brewing a Biere de Garde and was about to transfer the wort to the FV when I realized I'd forgotten the hops I should have added at the end of the boil before lowering in the chiller. It's roughly the GH recipe, just using Saaz instead of Tettnang.

So, I'll dry hop them in a few days' time, and I suspect I'll need less, and in any case it's not a very hoppy style. But how would you estimate how much less? Half? Less than that?

I would go with that Clint athumb.. Just make sure the software does calculate IBU's in Dry hopping as a lot still insist you do not get any IBU's from dry hopping

I would go with that Clint athumb.. Just make sure the software does calculate IBU's in Dry hopping as a lot still insist you do not get any IBU's from dry hopping
No, you do not get IBU bitterness from dry hopping. IBU is an expression of isomerized alpha-acids, which gives the typical bitterness. Isomerization only occurs above 80° C. You get: X hop alpha acids in -> heat -> Y isomerized alpha acids out

You can get bitterness from dry hopping, but that is something completely different, and something that can not be expressed as IBU, because it is not dependent upon the same substances in the hop. This is the same bitterness as in tea or bitter herbs.

Make a hop tea (water between 60° and 80°) and taste. It will be very bitter, but this is not IBU bitterness.

Saying you get IBU from dry hopping is bit like mixing yeast, flour, water and salt, and not baking, but insisting that you have made bread.

Hi cthon as usual there are 2 thoughts on most brewing methods even within the experts and it depends on who you read and follow.
here is just one of the other side

Conclusions. Using CDR BeerLab®, in Hackney Brewery, contrary to popular belief they have demonstrated a considerable increase in IBU value from both late and dry-hopping suggesting that alternative compounds present in hops (such as humulinone) do in fact contribute to the IBU value during the brewing process.
But lets agree that dry hopping adds more bitterness to the beer than was thought before whichever side you readathumb..

I've brewed a few hoppy NEIPA's that have no boil additions and all in the whirlpool/hop stand and dry hop with shed loads of dry hop additions and though you can get some bitterness its not the same as the bitterness you get from boil additions - or maybe it is but with it also comes the very pungent aroma and flavour from the hops so the perception of bitterness is different. Might be different with different hops. Not unpleasant or will make your beer undrinkable, but you'll end up with a different flavour and a different beer.

Dry hop additions for hoppy beers usually call for about 7 grams per litre, but the most I've pushed it upto is 16 grams per litre, and you certainly do get a bitterness at those levels but you also get alot of accompanying hop flavour and aroma so if you want a malt forward beer you're not going to get it - it will have bitterness but also punchy hop aroma and flavour that might dominate over the bitterness and maltiness. I guess it depends on the recipe and ingredients.

A Biere de Garde is malty rather than hoppy so if you forgot late hop additions you’re unlikely to damage the beer and might even save it from becoming something it shouldn’t be?

Unless you’ve already added a dry hop addition maybe just leave it and see how you like it.

Back