How much whisky to add to beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 45849

Reaction score
Morning All, i brew from extract and i am looking at having a go adding whisky to some of my beer at bottling.
I am about to bottle an IPA and a Scottish Heavy, what quantity of whisky per pint should be added to enhance but not ruin the beer or whisky?

I am bottling so I dont ruin the whole batch was only going to do about 20 bottles of each, I am also using a good single malt Dalwhinnie or the Jura.

Seems a waste of a good single malt to me. Why not just have whisky chasers with your beer?
Yes i get what you are saying, but i like to experiment to get different flavours and strengths of alcohol then i have a varied selection of beers for all occasions. I bottle so i dont get bored of the same thing.

I use oak staves that came from a barrel originally, they are normally soaked now for 6+ months in bunnhabain malt as it was on offer in sainsburys. A full bottle too 15-20 litres of stout. They only need to be added for 1x week in a secondary to still add an oaky taste. They’d been used maybe 6x times now 👍

I use oak staves that came from a barrel originally, they are normally soaked now for 6+ months in bunnhabain malt as it was on offer in sainsburys. A full bottle too 15-20 litres of stout. They only need to be added for 1x week in a secondary to still add an oaky taste. They’d been used maybe 6x times now 👍
The stout is a copy of brewdogs Islay paradox with a re-iterated mash and lastly came in around 12%abv before adding the whisky, even with the cost of the whisky it’s still around £1 per 330ml bottle compared to when I last had a one of brewdogs was £10 a bottle 😳

The stout is a copy of brewdogs Islay paradox with a re-iterated mash and lastly came in around 12%abv before adding the whisky, even with the cost of the whisky it’s still around £1 per 330ml bottle compared to when I last had a one of brewdogs was £10 a bottle 😳
Ooh that's pricey, I Morrisons have an offer on at the moment, £20 for the Jura and £25 for the Dalwhinnie.
So it should work out at 78pence per pint.
I made a honey based mild with mead yeast that was nice 6% and smooth that with the local honey cost £1.22 per pint.

It was brewdog and innes gunn that got me started !)
There’s a good Marmalade hazy ipa ✅
And a Sherry red ale, amongst my recipes

Ooh that's pricey, I Morrisons have an offer on at the moment, £20 for the Jura and £25 for the Dalwhinnie.
So it should work out at 78pence per pint.
I made a honey based mild with mead yeast that was nice 6% and smooth that with the local honey cost £1.22 per pint.
The bunhabain Is matured in Sherry barrels and gives it a more creamy flavour.

Perhaps try getting a beer in a glass, and adding a small measured amount of whisky to it. Increase it, until you have the taste you want. I'm aware once it's added during the process it'll taste a bit different, but it gives you a really strong starting point.
I've done this with hops and a cafetier before. Works well!

Perhaps try getting a beer in a glass, and adding a small measured amount of whisky to it. Increase it, until you have the taste you want. I'm aware once it's added during the process it'll taste a bit different, but it gives you a really strong starting point.
I've done this with hops and a cafetier before. Works well!
I whilst bottling opened an IPA I added 16ml (1 tablespoon) to it and it was pleasant to drink and not too overpowering. I will see what it turns out like when it's sat for 2 weeks as both the Jura and Dalwhinnie are strong in flavour.

I did the Greg Hughes Vanilla Bourbon Stout some years ago and it was awful.
I would not suggest adding whisky to beer in the same glass.
Maybe in the same stomach?

I brewed a stout with Whisky and notably the taste strengthened with age, and it is now almost overpowering. So I'd add much less next time. From memory it was about a bottle to a 19 litre batch.

I whilst bottling opened an IPA I added 16ml (1 tablespoon) to it and it was pleasant to drink and not too overpowering. I will see what it turns out like when it's sat for 2 weeks as both the Jura and Dalwhinnie are strong in flavour.
I bottled the beers and I added 15ml (1 tbl sp) per 500ml bottle.
Now they have finished I have had a couple of each, the Scottish heavy and whisky work very well together and give a hint of the whisky oak, smoke,peat but don't overpower the flavour of the beer.
The IPA is a bit too nice as the Dalwhinnie is not too peaty and went down like a fat kid on a see-saw.
I am sure it's not to everyone's liking but I have enjoyed this and my whisky drinking brother who said it was a crime against the drinks industry, had a taste and his approval was given, he even took a bottle of each for later consumption.

I bottled the beers and I added 15ml (1 tbl sp) per 500ml bottle.
Now they have finished I have had a couple of each, the Scottish heavy and whisky work very well together and give a hint of the whisky oak, smoke,peat but don't overpower the flavour of the beer.
The IPA is a bit too nice as the Dalwhinnie is not too peaty and went down like a fat kid on a see-saw.
I am sure it's not to everyone's liking but I have enjoyed this and my whisky drinking brother who said it was a crime against the drinks industry, had a taste and his approval was given, he even took a bottle of each for later consumption.
To add to this it tastes better to bottle with it rather than just putting it in when it's in the glass.

I have added whiskey to a porter with great results.
Soak some oak chips and a vanilla pod in 500mls of whiskey (you don't need anything fancy) for 1 week.
Add the whiskey at bottlling time (23 litre batch).
Give great barrel aged complexity to the beer.

I bottled my stout after 29x days with the whisky oaks, it’s now or will be in the bottles for 6x weeks when I’m home next so there should be some carbonation going on. I’m sure will be worth a bottle or 2 to try 🤪

In meantime I brewed a red ale, and added some oaks that had been soaked in Sherry for a 6x months, will need to get that bottled as it will of been conditioning for a month.

Latest posts

Back