How much Wort

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Right
Want to have 22L of wort in my fermenter.
I think that on a 5 gallonish brew I lose about 20% in the boil. Its a 60L boiler and has a alrge surface area
Using a calculator on another forum I should need 31L of liqour.
I will lose some to the grain and the hops but Does 31 L seem a bit excessive to the Gurus?

Ignore the above post Frisp.
If you lose 20% overall during the boil and you start with 31 ltrs, you'll end up with a post boil volume of 24.8ltrs.
You will lose volume to the hops and to the dead space in the boiler so 31 ltrs may be about right.

You can work out the dead space in your boiler by filling it to just over the manifold, then opening the tap. When the flow stops, shut the tap and measure the remaining liquid in the boiler, by tipping it into a pint measuring jug or similar.

Hops absorb roughly 6ltrs/kg (6mls/gm) as a rule of thumb, so you can work out roughly how much wort your hops will retain.

How the hell did anyone get started brewing without forums like this?

TBH...they simply did the most important thing...brewed and enjoyed it :cool:

Long ago brewers didn't even know about abv/efficiency or anything else...they simply judged beer on how it tasted...perhaps we could take a step forward, by taking a step backwards :cool:

Latest posts

Back