How much yeast should I pitch

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halfpint

Reaction score
I'm making some 10 litre AG brews so I have more varieties to try out before making larger batches.

The Mr Malty calc states pitching just 6 grams into 10 litres @ 1.053, this leaves half a pkt to throw away as it might not be the strain I want for the next brew.

Would it hurt to pitch a full pkt of either 10 or 11 grams ? I know it might finish quicker, but would it give any unwanted tastes or problems with carbonating in bottles

I'm making some 10 litre AG brews so I have more varieties to try out before making larger batches.

The Mr Malty calc states pitching just 6 grams into 10 litres @ 1.053, this leaves half a pkt to throw away as it might not be the strain I want for the next brew.

Would it hurt to pitch a full pkt of either 10 or 11 grams ? I know it might finish quicker, but would it give any unwanted tastes or problems with carbonating in bottles
The possible effects of over-pitching are:
Very low ester production.
Very fast fermentations.
Thin or lacking body/mouthfeel.
Autolysis (Yeasty flavors due to lysing of cells).

For best results, I would hydrate and use the 6g you need. You could save the other 5g and use it for yeast nutrient, adding around 1g to the last 10 minutes of the boil.

Some people just seal up the packet for use in a future brew.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I don't suppose you have a vacuum sealer do you? If so, you can vacuum seal your half packets and store in the fridge for about 4 months happily. You can possibly do the same just folding the packet over to the level of the yeast and sealing it with a peg or tape or something, but vacuum sealing will be better.

Thanks guys, I'll stick to Mr Malty amounts, I don't have a vacuum sealer, so I'll pop it in a zip lock bag and suck out the air with a straw and stick it in the fridge.

An extra 4 or 5 grams is not going to give off flavours through over pitching, you have to go a long way to over pitch.

That's what I thought to start with, but when you think about it, a full pkt on a 10 litre brew is like 2 pkts on my normal 20 litre one, and I would never do that.
If I were to make a Triple or Imperial of say an SG of 1.065 I might do it then, or I might just change the yeast to a higher alcohol tolerant one instead.

I don't have a vacuum sealer
If you've got a soldering iron or hair straighteners or something like that you can put a bit of foil or a silicone baking sheet over the packet and run the iron across that to seal it. I've kept partial packets of yeast in the freezer for a year with an ikea clip on them and used them no bother. I did rehydrate, though... clearly.

Latest posts

Back