How much yeast.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TJ2You

TJ
Reaction score
All, I have started my Woodforde Dark Norfolk NOG, It had a 6 g packet of yeast, so I swapped that for a wilko yeast just realised it was 11g. Will that have an adverse affect, or will it be ok?
Thanking you in advance Steve.

No adverse affect, should be better - the 6g packets of yeast supplied in some kits are a bit on the light side. 11g is better.

It also depends on how much wort you're brewing, but I for example always brew half batches only, e.g. 10L instead of 20L, and I always use all of the yeast in my half batch, as if I was fermenting a full batch, and all my batches turned out great (except my latest lager experiment,but that's a different story). There is however an issue if you seriously underpitch or overpitch, just google it to get more insight, I am not an expert on how many billion yeast cells are required for all the different styles and amounts of beer, and hence don't want to give you wrong info...

The last three brews that I havr done, I havr always used the supplied yeast. However, my next brew, an English Bitter, I brought direct from a local brew store. He guy gave my a seperate 11g sachet of yeast and said bin the supplued yeast. I am going to give this a go with the extra yeast and see how iy yurns out.

6g packet is under pitching, in fact if you look at online calculators 11g is most of the time under pitching although in practice it normally works fine.

Hi all thanks, it had brewed lovely, with the 11g, I have bottled it all and been in the house for around 3-4 weeks so next stage put a few in the fridge again for around 2 weeks, then will try 1 or 2 as have around 39 pints of the stuff to consume.

39 Points of the stuff is a nice amount to product test and makr sure that you have made the right decision to brew with 11g's of yeast. It is hood to hear that the 11g option turned out well as that is the amount I will be using in my next brew.

I see that your bottles are going to spend 2 weeks in the fridge after 3~4 weeks proving in the bottle. Is that what you normally do, in the fridge for that time before drinking?

pitching rate is 1 million cells per milliliter of wort per degree Plato. Cells to pitch = (1 million) x (milliliters of wort) x (degrees Plato of the wort) I use slightly lower rates for ales (0.75 million) hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had had my 1st bottle, and boy oh boy it’s lovely, will let some settle down a little more to see I if it gets better.

Back