How much?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crappyfish

Landlord.
Reaction score
How many drinkable litres should I get from a 19l ag kit?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it really depends (sorry I know that's not helpful), My first brews I lost a good 3-4 ltrs due to trub and mistakes, I also then learnt not not get greedy with beer and leave a couple of inches of beer above the trub, this has improved my beers hugely. In theory though 19l (I may get corrected here)

Hi @Crappyfish
Again, not very helpful, but I have tried to squeeze every last drop out of the FV and ended up with lots of beer that needed a long time to clear and losses either in the pour from the bottle or serving from the keg because there was so much sediment.
As @steve denholm has written, it's usually best to leave quite a bit of beer in the FV to avoid transfering trub. You'll get less out of the FV, but it'll be a better beer, and you'll get less wastage due to sediment later.

Using brewing software you can account for losses to trub and things like that in your water you start with

If I aim to get around 20L of beer I will transfer from the kettle around 22-23 liters which will have trub and such from teh kettle into the FV.. when I rack to the bottling bucket I get around 20L

I reckon on a couple of litres, so you'll probably get about 17l or 30 pints in real money ;)

If your equipment gets the efficiency the kits designed for then I think you should get the amount it says, more if your efficiency is higher less if its lower. I'm not sure but the guys who put the kit together should be able to tell you for sure.

FWIW, I scale recipes to 22L so I can fill a 19L keg with little waste.

I loose around 2L to trub and dry hop debris for a heavily hopped IPA. Probably around 1.5L for a lager or pale ale.

Trial and error though I'm afraid!

Back