How often do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheOsprey

Brewing Bad
Reaction score
I last brewed just over two weeks ago. I've now got those beers carbing in the garage in my fridge at 19 degrees. I'd like to brew again, but in this hot weather, I wouldn't trust the FV to stay at a reasonable temperature. I probably just about have space to do another small brew in the fermenting fridge, but then in 2 weeks I'll have one brew that needs bottling and carbing, and one that needs conditioning. I don't have enough plug sockets in the garage for another fridge (or the nerve to ask for another on our local free site), so I guess I just need to wait 6 weeks total before I can brew again, but that feels like a long time.

How often do you brew? Do you have multiple fridges? How can I brew more often?

I do not have temperature control so will probably take August off. I brewed 24 batches last year and have brewed 14 batches so far this year so I suppose typically every couple of weeks. That said looking through my log some months I have brewed four times others once or not at all.

I also have only two 30l FVs and a 7l ish recycled bird ball bucket, along with 2 demijohns, so I don't have *that* much potential for storing.

I brew about once a month. About every 5 or 6 brews I’ll do 2 in quick succession to keep my stocks up, but I only drink 6-10 pints a week so usually a batch does me 4-6 weeks.

I used to have 2 fridges but one of them is now a kegerator, so if I have 2 on the go at the same time one batch will be done in the utility room with a heat belt but it sits at 18-19C most of the time anyway. Now I’m kegging I don’t need to worry about a place to carbonate because I now force carb.

Usually every 2 weeks, but slightly smaller batches to suit my kit - 18L. I'll have a break now and again when stocks are up.

I also usually stop brewing this time of year, but have kept going this year: both me and the wife drink the homebrew, and as we haven't been going out to pubs and restaurants, we're getting through it a lot quicker.

I will brew when I have enough empty bottles (40) for it to go into.

In my world thats about 50 full bottles left.
I hope the heat isn't damaging them too much - but its all ale, no lager.

I am brewing once a week at the minute. I was caught short at the start of lockdown, never again. I like to keep a good variety.
same here I brew weekly 10l usually a week. I also prefer to have a wide variety of beer at any given time. also I am not afraid to dump if I brew a bad one. such as my recent hoppy lager that has a bit of fusel right now.

Yeah I've been getting lots on having been caught out earlier.
As for brewing in hot temps get some CML KVEIK or I believe Drunkula has brewed with CML KRISTALWEISEN at high temps.

Once a month, or when needed. Only have 2 kegs at the moment, and stock of bottles is good so holding off until I have space. Would like to do more as I like doing a brewday, but space and waistline restrict this 😄

I brew once a week - hot weather has been an issue - lost three beers to over carbonation due to being in a garage which got to over 30c. Now leaving my crates in a north facing room which is 10 degrees lower than the outside and garage so back in business. Next brews are a 1944 recipe for a William Youngers IPA and then maybe a Cashmer/vics secret IPA.

I'm at the stage where I brew maybe 6 times a year, and am trying to alternately convince myself to and dissuade myself from buying another freezer, more kegs etc.

Today I'm boarding out the garage though which is my gateway job to building a massive fermenting chamber... or not.

Beer - 18L every 2 or 3 weeks.
Wine - every 6 weeks or so.

Can't imagine it ever being too hot here to brew either. It's currently 21.5c in the back room where I store my beer and at the moment fermenting a pale ale.

Every two weeks give or take! Struggling to keep my bar running with two beers on at the minute 😂

Isn't the answer to the OP question based on how much is consumed? I've seen folks post on here that they only drink perhaps two or three bottles a week, yet there will be some who drink most days if not every day, don't stick to just two or three, their partner drinks it too, they entertain, and they give it away as well. And some only brew 5 litre batches whilst some are almost on an industrial scale. All of which means there's a potentially a huge spread of answers.
All I'll say is I tend not to brew much in the summer (no brewfridge) I brew in batches since I re-use yeast, and I try to maintain a carbing and conditioning stock of between about 50 to 90 litres of beer.

Back