How often do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me know how you get on. I would be interested in seeing the recipe

Tropical Stout.

19 litres OG 1.067 FG 1.015 IBU 39.28 SRM 48 Mash pH 5.34
BHE 60%, full volume mash. 75 min mash 90 min boil

4.5 kg pale malt (Compass is an Aussie malt I will use) mash
0.30 kg roast barley (late mash addition)
0.34 kg crystal 60 L ( late mash addition)
0.34 kg chocolate malt (late mash addition)
0.35 kg NZ Gladiator malt (carapils sub) mash
0.40 kg Munich mash
0.23 kg flaked oats mash
0.23 kg flaked barley mash
0.35 kg soft brown sugar late boil (brewers choice of unrefined sugar)

14 g Magnum hops pellet 60 mins
28 g EKG 10 mins
Being as the roasted malts are late addition water additions for me 4 g gypsum 6 g calcium chloride.

Yeast Irish ale yeast.
Prime with soft brown sugar.

I've been brewing at least once a week recently to increase my stocks, to fill the new keezer & three cornys, plus two existing King Kegs. Am now up to three on tap, with one conditioning and two fermenting. At the minute if I see Rexy the Fermentasaurus empty, I'm overcome with an urge to fill it with something. Have some mates coming round next Tuesday who all love a beer, so looking forward to them depleting my reserves & I can get another brew on.

I have no fridge to assist with brews so change what I brew based on the season ans as I only have 1 FV & 1 BB I can only brew every 4-5 weeks. I supplement the shortage via supermarket ipa's and trips to Belgium. Hopefully I'll have 13 crates of 24 bottles full of beer when lockdown no2 hits. 🤫

I have no space to brew more frequently. Besides its getting hard to get regular HB supplies these days.

I have no space to brew more frequently. Besides its getting hard to get regular HB supplies these days.
I started brewing just as the 'supply shortage' started and have been brewing pretty much constantly. To be honest I have not had much difficulty getting supplies, just had to shop around a bit

10 to 12 liters once a month.

Did a twenty liter Coopers Real Ale kit last month. I also did an 11 liter saison so I'm good until late September. Always try to make another batch when I'm down to five weeks worth ready to drink.

I think if I brewed every week like some of you I'd quickly get sick of brewing. As it is I brew once a month and by the end of the brewday I'm usually a little fed up and glad it's over. Once a month is enough to keep me well stocked up and still enjoying the hobby.

"sick of brewing! does not compute! :-) I brew to learn and liketo learn every week!

Tend's to be once a month, I work offshore so my 2x weeks off give me chance for fermentation and bottling.

Every couple of weeks or so for me. I try to keep the supplies moving so I brew, that goes in the FV. Two weeks later that goes in bottles and the next brew goes in the FV. Two weeks later, Brew 1 is conditioning, Brew 2 gets bottled, Brew 3 gets done and into FV etc.

This has recently been complimented by me doing a batch of cider alongside it. Does take much effort and can ferment under the stairs (no need for the brew fridge).

Now that sounds like a lot of brewing, I know, but I currently have both sons living back home, SWMBO has discovered cider, and I'm still avoiding pubs so tend to have friends over for the evening once or twice a week.

Started brewing in April and reckon I've averaged every fortnight since then. I've done premium kits and also 2 x stovetop AG trial runs..... But my last brew was a full batch BIAB which worked a treat in my new Peco boiler.

Fermentasaurus arriving today and have a Razorback IPA kit to go in as a test run before BIAB #2.

Think I'm addicted !!!

Roughly ever other weekend, only beers now.

My semi-underground cellar is currently about 22C while outside is a melting 30C+.

I ferment in a plastic pressure barrel / keg and I have read that when fermenting under pressure you can do so at a higher temperature without generating the usual (esters?) flavours as much. So I'm not really worrying about it.

Remember that some beers typically ferment at higher temps like stouts. I don't think I'd try a clean larger right now. Got Ace of Spades going.

As for how much I brew it really varies. I desperately want to get a regular cycle going so I always have 1-2 beers on tap fully conditioned. However I've had a couple of failures recently and other times I just want a break. I probably need to do it every 3 weeks. I have 3 metal kegs , 1 plastic. I can't fit more in the fridge.

Back