How sterile are you with your home-brewing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait until you get a couple of contaminated brews; you'll soon change your tune. I went ten years without problems and have now had two in the last 18 months. And it isn't just a case of being a bit more thorough next time. EVERYTHING needs a deep clean. Some stuff will end up being chucked out. And you will make your next brew with the fear you haven't cleaned every possible bit of equipment. Last infection I had, it took me 3 or 4 days to properly clean and sanatise everything. I now clean everything after I have used it. No more leaving an fv or keg to sit for weeks upon end until getting round to cleaning it.

Is it just me that is sensitive to the taste of no rinse sanitiser?

I have used Milton tablets for many years and haven't noticed a flavour.

1645218151086.png

Wait until you get a couple of contaminated brews; you'll soon change your tune. I went ten years without problems and have now had two in the last 18 months. And it isn't just a case of being a bit more thorough next time. EVERYTHING needs a deep clean. Some stuff will end up being chucked out. And you will make your next brew with the fear you haven't cleaned every possible bit of equipment. Last infection I had, it took me 3 or 4 days to properly clean and sanatise everything. I now clean everything after I have used it. No more leaving an fv or keg to sit for weeks upon end until getting round to cleaning it.
I think you have identified the key element in saying that you clean everything immediately after use. If equipment is cleaned before there is any chance of bugs getting established on it then the sanitising before reuse is very effective and you should not get infections. I have always done this and have not had an infection in about 30 years of brewing. (Bet I get a blooody infection in my next brew now!).

I’m fastidious about cleaning. Basically, I’m a tightarse and can’t bear the thought of flushing all that money down the tube! I’ve always used VWP without any problems.

I had to pour away a full keg earlier this week. It had a whiff of nail varnish remover about it. I left it hoping it might improve but finally accepted it and dumped.

Luckily I’ve done a couple of brews since that were fine using same fermenter etc so I’m guessing it has to be the keg so I’ve bleached and boiled it but am still hesitant to use it again!

I had to pour away a full keg earlier this week. It had a whiff of nail varnish remover about it. I left it hoping it might improve but finally accepted it and dumped.

Luckily I’ve done a couple of brews since that were fine using same fermenter etc so I’m guessing it has to be the keg so I’ve bleached and boiled it but am still hesitant to use it again!
I took all my kegs apart and soaked the posts etc. in oxy, then rinsed, then soaked in THIN bleach, then rinsed, then sanitised before reassembly. For the keg, once I had removed the bits and bobs, I filled with water and really gluged in the thin bleach, with the dip tube inside. Let it soak for at least 30 mins before emptying, rinsing, adding oxy to the base and going to work on cleaning it with one of those sponges on a stick things. Then really rinse the ballix out of it before sanitising.

I'm not sure what more I could do with the cleaning products I had. Touch wood, I've since done two brews and they've been fine.

i make wine not beer, but i make sure all equipment is clean first, then i place everything that will come into contact with the wine in my bucket containing chemsan (obv. diluted as per) for 5-10 mins minimum, before use, including spoons, trial jars, hydrometers, siphons - everything. i also scrub demihohns with chemsan and a bottle brush before or after use. when ive finished using any equipment or buckets, or demijohns again i clean it with soap and water, rinse, then use chemsan again before putting it away. works for me and i've never had any problems.

I suppose it's a case of 'if you don't improve your sanitation, how do you know it makes no difference?'
Like using a SS fermenter instead of a plastic bucket, or going AG instead of using kits. These things may have small margins, but are worth it.

I suppose it's a case of 'if you don't improve your sanitation, how do you know it makes no difference?'
Like using a SS fermenter instead of a plastic bucket, or going AG instead of using kits. These things may have small margins, but are worth it.
Excessive sanitation may make things worse. Alcoholic drinks exist because someone didn't bother to keep the fruit flies off the crushed grapes and wort.
Lambic beers? I no longer taste wines with the complexity of flavour now that home producers have disappeared. The wine bought in shops is very palatable but samey.
For the fear of making bad brews are we settling for just alright?

Excessive sanitation may make things worse. Alcoholic drinks exist because someone didn't bother to keep the fruit flies off the crushed grapes and wort.
Lambic beers? I no longer taste wines with the complexity of flavour now that home producers have disappeared. The wine bought in shops is very palatable but samey.
For the fear of making bad brews are we settling for just alright?
I don't necessarily disagree with you, I am however one of the brewers who has had a run of beer batches that have been contaminated and spoiled. Scrubbing everything got rid of those contaminants in my case, so maybe I'm making beers that are a bit better than they would be without the level of cleaning I do. I've learned that it is better this way. However I also remember a beautifully sour wheat beer! A non repeatable happy mistake.
I also think, as an ex wine warehouse bloke, that the plethora of wines available off the shelf are hugely varied in style.

Latest posts

Back