How to add extra sugar to undercarbed beers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I have an under carbed saison. I had planned to add a bit more sugar, reseal, Bob's your uncle.

I'm sure many of you will nod sagely and chuckle under your breath . . . .

I've just found out that if you add sugar to partly conditioned beer . . . . it gushes everywhere.

So, question to all you peeps that have been there, done that . . . .

How should I be adding sugar to undercarbed beer already in bottles?

Cheers

Dissolve it in hot water, let it cool, then add. The granules represent cavitation points for the CO2 in the beer.

Hi mate, I made the same mistake on my Young's harvest lager and under primed. This is my thread here:

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/carbonating-questions.88033/
And this is it now:
20200717_175503.jpg

I added an extra half a teaspoon of granulated sugar to each bottle and yes you're right it frothed up very quickly. Terrym suggested cooling the bottles first but unfortunately I couldn't do that in summer so I just went for it and most of the bottles I managed to get the caps back on before it flowed over the sides :laugh8: :laugh8:
But you've got to be quick! athumb..

I would still describe it as slightly undercarbed but it's a lot better than it was first of all! I have another of these kits so I'll be priming with a full teaspoon! It's a learning curve :laugh8:athumb..

I have a wheat beer...simple thing...half and half lager/wheat malt..I undercarbed like a fool with around 130g of dextrose...it's carbed..has a nice fizz when opening and a c02 mist..but absolutely zero bubbles or head...tastes totally fine.
What's with this?

Latest posts

Back