How to add spraymalt prior to conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobius

Reaction score
Hi, I've just feremented a Munton's Smugglers Ale kit and the instructions suggest adding spraymalt light prior to bottling/kegging. I bottled some and the remainder went in a Corney. This was my first time using spraymalt and the kit instructions didn't offer any information on its use.

I added the spraymalt to 200ml of cold water and brought to the boil. This worked well and I didn't suffer any clumping. I transfered about 1 gallon of the wort to my bottling bin, adding the just boiled spraymalt before adding the remaining wort. I then gently stirred the mixture before bottliing/kegging. I was wary of adding the boiled syrup to an empy bin as was unsure of how the plastic would fare.

My main question, should I have allowed the spraymalt to cool before adding to the wort? Should I have done it any differenty?

It's now been 3 days since bottling and my PET bottles have hardened suggesting it worked.

Many thanks

Last edited:
I would question the use of spray malt at this stage, normally just use table sugar for carbing. Are you sure you weren't supposed to use the spray malt in the fermenter?

How much spraymalt did you use?

In terms of method normally I just stick the sugar in the bottling bucket first then syphon the beer on top. Give it a stir to make sure it's distributed correctly and off you go.

Just looked at the instructions and it does say what you suggest. Next time I'd be tempted to save a bit of money and just use table sugar

Just looked at the instructions and it does say what you suggest. Next time I'd be tempted to save a bit of money and just use table sugar

Thanks, being new to this I didn't know if the spraymalt added anything taste wise

I would question the use of spray malt at this stage, normally just use table sugar for carbing. Are you sure you weren't supposed to use the spray malt in the fermenter?

How much spraymalt did you use?

Definitly as per instructions, add instead of sugar at time of bottling/kegging - 85g

Definitly as per instructions, add instead of sugar at time of bottling/kegging - 85g
I don't think adding spraymalt at kegging /bottling will add anything to the flavour at such small levels. If it came with the kit fine, but otherwise I'd use sugar and save the spraymalt for the brewing itself.

Hello - I have a similar question. I have bought the same kit (Muntons Smugglers Ale) and Im also about to add the spraymalt they recommend. My dilemma is that my fermentation bin has a tap at the bottom and i have always transferred direct to the bottles from this fermantation bin (using a 'bottler' attachement to the tap). I have never had the need to transfer my primary fermented brew into a blottling bucket. If I did I would just add a solution of spraymalt like Mobius said in his post above. So, how do i best get the spaymalt (which is a fine powder) into my bottles. The instructions say add a teaspoon per pint to each bottle, but this feels like a faff. I usually use carbonation drops which is just like adding a small boiled-sweet to the bottle but I would like to try adding the spraymalt instead to see if it gives a better flavour Should i just add the required spraymalt solution to the fermentaiton bin just before bottling?

Should i just add the required spraymalt solution to the fermentaiton bin just before bottling?
You sure can do that.
Boil the powder with water as mentioned above, and then stir it in gently.
If you're going to use a bottling bucket, put some beer in the bucket first and then add the hot spray malt/water solution.
Using your carb drops (table sugar works just as well) will do a good job and would be easier.

Back