How to Brew 4th Ed

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyr259

Landlord.
Reaction score
I realise it's not out for a few weeks yet but is anyone thinking of upgrading to the new edition? Given there's an extra 235 pages I'm guessing it has to be worth the upgrade.

Thoughts or are most like me and waiting to see what the reviews say?

It gets released just before my birthday and I don't have any previous versions, so it's on my Amazon Wish list :-) easy gift from the family.

I've not read the previous editions, so have pre-ordered this one on Amazon. 582 pages :thumb: Looking forward to it.

How does this compare to the Greg Hughes book as a a first book for AG brewing?

I have Greg's book too, it's amazing as a recipe book with the standard "how to brew" methodology at the start. I've been working with a budding homebrewer the last 2 weeks and Greg's book is the one I've recommended he gets since he wants to brew tasty beer but isn't into the technical details or the chemisty/biology.

The 3rd edition was my first book on brewing, it's more of a text book which goes through the whole process of making beer chapter by chapter. It focused a bit more on extract and specialty grains but had a full section on all grain at the back. If you want to understand what is happening at each stage of the brewing process then it is very handy as it's in depth but probably not as overwhelming as the brewing elements series (which I'm temped by). It has chapters on malt, hops, yeast, fermentation cyles and at the end goes into common faults and why they may have occurred, and a small section on designing your own beer (which I used to make a tasty porter). Oh, and tips on building your own AG setup and comparisons of different mash tun set ups.

There's a section near the end with a recipe for each main style of beer, but only in very broad terms so maybe 10 recipes (I'm offshore so don't have book to hand), they are extract but most have an AG version and you have to put up with the american measurements.

My high regard for this book is why I'm considering getting the new version since it has to be worth it for the extra 200+ pages and updated info.

Hope that helps.

Apparently, in the US, this has been sent to a number of folk already who pre-ordered it (according to a thread on reddit.com/r/homebrewing). I've got it on pre-order, but there's no sign of it being dispatched anytime soon.

Apparently the new version includes water chemistry profiles with it's recipes, which was a big driver being me going for it!

Link to thread : https://www.reddit.com/r/Homebrewing/comments/689xkf/how_to_brew_4th_edition/?ref=search_posts

Some recipes available here: http://www.homebrewfinds.com/2017/0...-to-brew-by-john-palmer-4th-ed-pre-order.html

Just checked this again on Amazon to make a pay day purchse and it looks like the UK edition has been pushed on to August now :-(

US release is still tomorrow

Back